CHAPTER FOUR: The Escape

"You mentioned to the guards outside that some people were chasing you," the man behind the desk asked as I walked over to the window

"You mentioned to the guards outside that some people were chasing you," the man behind the desk asked as I walked over to the window. "Who might they be?"

"I don't know. Honestly, I haven't a clue. But whatever it is, it can't be good."

He nodded. "Well, I suppose you can stay here until your friend picks up."

"Thanks very much."

A voice came over the PA system, calling for the man's name as he put on his hat and excused himself from the room. Only the light from the desk illuminated the darkened office space as I stared out of the window, looking out over the vast courtyard below. I could see the front gate and the men patrolling it with their guns drawn. It was a close call. I'll admit. But when I first arrived here, I raised my hands in surrender, telling them that I was an American. Even as I was taken into custody as it were, the men in suits had retreated into the shadows, no doubt planning their next move.

And though I wasn't a vampire, I could almost feel them out there. My body coiled in response, my skin tingling. The real threat was out there, somewhere, just waiting to be unleashed. But I would not let it take me alive. I'd survived this long without my vampiric body to aid me. Perhaps my luck was still holding after all. Rain tapped at the window. Falling slowly at first before becoming another downpour. Then came the fog as it swirled above the ground, making it almost impossible to see. I turned away only to stop short when I heard the sounds of gunfire and men dying.

Alas, there they were. The men in suits had returned with a small army in a tight V-shaped formation. Together, they took out those closest to them while some of them kept the men alive. They made their way across the courtyard to the main doors as they step of explosives and prepared for another assault. I had to get out of here. I rushed to the door just as the man returned speaking in French before realizing that I only spoke English. He was armed with a gun and a bulletproof vest. Sadly, though, after what I just saw outside, I don't think that vest was going to save him.

"We are under attack. Come with me now and I'll take you to safety."

"No. This is my doing. They're after me. Give me a gun and I'll draw them away."

"Are you insane? They'll kill you on sight."

"They won't. Trust me. I have something they want."

But before he could answer, an explosive rocked the very foundation of the base. The lights dimly flickered and it was then that I knew I had to make a choice. I said my peace and knocked out the man as I took his gun, his vest and the ring of keys attached to his belt. At the end of the hall was an elevator and next to it, a stairwell. Thinking quick on my feet, I called up the elevator to use as a distraction while I took the stairwell in the hopes that the men wouldn't notice me slipping past them while I made my escape.

When I reached the main floor, my plan started to come together. The elevator dinged, it's doors opening as the men stood in formation once more. I could see the blown-out hole in the wall they just came through as I stuck to the shadows. Outside, the downpour was much worse than before. I could barely see anything in front of me due to the fog. But I kept moving, sprinting more like. I ran through the streets and back alleys all the while still trying to figure out my next move.