Chapter 2

Third person pov

The small band of travelers were among the last humans, if they were humans that were, on Earth. There were of course small settlements. Survivors that gave hope to them that maybe, just maybe, there could be a future. But they were the last ninja who were... well, clearly ninja. They had chakra, and swords, and kunai. Sasuke was missing an arm, and he flaunted it like it was a good thing.

Their group was tightly knit despite the bantering that went on. Spending years together with Naruto, who was quite adept at the "talk no jutsu," had this effect. Now Hidan, Kakuzu, a moderately-insane Sasori, Naruto, Sasuke and Kisame were all inseparable to some extent. They got all weird and antsy when they were apart, and yet they all low-key hated each other at the same time. It was a weird dynamic, but it clearly worked because they hadn't killed each other yet.

"You know what would be really cool?" Kurama sniffed slightly. "Going into the past."

"You know what would be really cool?" Naruto mocked. His friends were too used to it to really care too much. They were in a heated debate about politics. Politics that no longer mattered. "Going to someplace that actually had water and a food source."

"Like the past?" Kurama wiggled his brows suggestively.

"Guys, does anyone want to travel to the past?" Naruto looked back at them. Sasuke, who was walking next to him, rolled his eyes.

"Naruto, would I force my village to be cultists?" Hidan asked.

"Um, probably." The Uzumaki responded, eyebrows raising.

"See, I fucking told you so!" Hidan shrieked. Orochimaru let out a groan, slapping some bills that were no longer worth much of anything into Kakuzu's hand. The stitch-covered man cackled at his success, snatching the worthless money from Orochimaru like it was gold, which also happened to be worthless and virtually useless at the moment.

"Why wouldn't he make them be cultists? He is a cultist." Sasori rolled his eyes.

"See, that's exactly what I was thinking, but I really wasn't sure." Kisame said. "Maybe he'd turn over a new leaf. Like... change himself for his people or something. I don't know. Hidan is an ass, but maybe he'd be less of an ass if he actually had responsibilities to take on?"

"What the fuck? I have taken on responsibilities. I had a mushroom growing in my room for three months, and it didn't even die." Hidan said proudly.

"How?" Sasuke muttered.

"I watered it, that's how." Hidan hissed, throwing his empty canteen at the Uchiha's head. "You assholes always doubt my superb abilities, and you're always wrong! I can do all the fuck shit! I'm immortal, bitch!"

"Didn't you just say you weren't immortal in the last chapter though?" Naruto deadpanned at the man, who paused. Kisame raised his eyebrows, looking at the cultist expectantly. I mean, Naruto brought up a fair point. Hidan had definitely said that. Kisame wondered if he should try and cut Hidan's head off. I mean, they didn't know for sure that he wasn't still an immortal, right?

"That's irrelevant, you uncultured swine." Sasori hissed. "What happened in the last chapter stays in the last chapter."

"Well damn." Orochimaru whistled slightly.

"Whatever. Naruto, what were you saying about the past? Because if we can go into the past, we probably should. We aren't doing anything here." Sasuke gestured around at the sandy dunes, and Naruto pursed his lips. He had a fair point, but this was probably just another sick prank Kurama was planning.

"Yeah, if we can go fix things so we're not stuck here again, that'd be great, brat." Kakuzu said. He held up his money. "If this could be of use again, I'd be in your debt."

"You're already in his debt. He brought you back to life, you dumbass." Kisame scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"You call this living?" Sasori responded.

"Seeing as you're a piece of driftwood at this point, no." Orochimaru ran a hand through his hair. It was long, just as long as it had always been, but it was now sandy and greasy. It was hard to find shampoo in a world like this, and even harder to find a good place to use it where you wouldn't be peeked at. Clean water sources were scarce, and often used exclusively for drinking.

"You know what, let's try it." Naruto said. "Kurama, do the thing or whatever. But if we die, I'm holding you personally accountable. Literally. I'll sue you. Don't think I won't." The blonde threatened, earning approving nods from his comrades.

"Well, okay." Kurama said. "Guess I'm getting sued."

"What-"

"Sike!" Kurama cackled, and then they were all gone.