Chapter 6: Consideration

I retreated to my room as soon as humanly possible, and swaddled myself within my bedsheets to think. Should I go along with this? Have they talked to Shuichi or Himiko yet? What do they think? Do they think this is a lie too? I had to go talk to them as soon as possible tomorrow.

Borderline-forceful knocking interrupted my thoughts yet again. Father walked in, gently opening the door and wordlessly sitting on the foot of my bed to look at me. His breathing seemed erratic, yet with one careful inhale it returned to a solemn and steady pace. His gaze met mine, and for what seemed like an eternity he looked towards me before unfurling his lips.

"You're scared, aren't you? I would be too. But.. I think we should trust them. I think he's being honest: a lot of my coworkers told me they'd be really happy to meet you sometime." He formed a coy grin, before grabbing my shoulder and squeezing it.

He's lying, isn't he? Why would they want to meet a cold-blooded assassin? He's tricking me, I'm sure of it. They wouldn't want to meet me, they'd want to meet Shuichi or Himiko! They're much better people than I am..! I covered myself completely in the top sheets of my bed, curled into my own personal cocoon.

"Maki, please! I promise I'm not lying. You're not a bad person like you think you are! I promise reality isn't the same as what you were told to believe! I'll show you, I promise. On Sunday, you'll come with me to work and I'll show you. Please believe me, okay?" His tone bled of desperation. I couldn't help but wince.

Sunday. It wasn't far off, but I had tomorrow to mentally prepare myself. I.. guess I should give him a chance. He's done more for me than anyone but Shuichi has.

"Fine. I'll go with you. And I'll think about the offer, too." I couldn't believe what I was saying. Though to be fair, what other option did I have?

"Thank you so much! I'll leave you be now, rest up for school tomorrow, okay? You've got a busy few days ahead of you!" Father chuckled once more, quietly getting up and exiting my cavern.

Just a few days, huh. A few days until I'm once again watched by the public eye. Already swathed in my bedsheets, I grabbed the nearest pillow, untucked my head, and drifted off to sleep.

A Clay Assassin: A Danganronpa After-StoryOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara