❆ Sixteen ❆

Sixteen

    Beast pressed his forehead to mine. His warm breaths tickled my frosted cheek. Hands tightened and fisted my skirts in crumpled heaps, tugging at the material until my hips were flush against his. "Say yes," he murmured in my ear. His lips caressed my jaw in breathtaking kisses that seared my skin. My eyes squeezed shut from the pleasure shooting through me. How had we gotten to this? For the life of me I couldn't remember.

    "I... I can't," I panted.

    His arm wrapped around my waist, and suddenly the ground disappeared out from under me. My back touched the snow with a careful tenderness as he set me down, his body hovering over mine. I welcomed his warmth and grasped for more. His lips never ceased its assault on my cheek, my jaw, my neck and back up again. He paused at the corner of my mouth. "Say it." His hand grazed my thigh.

    I jumped. "Beast, I don't know! Please!"

    I didn't know what exactly I was begging him for— more of his touch or for him to stop it altogether. He didn't let me explain. His mouth crashed down on mine with a fervent intensity that drew a gasp from my lips, allowing him entrance. His body pressed to mine, his lips muffling my moans. My mouth ached from the bruising passion of the kiss. I raked my hands along his bare arms, mesmerized by the smooth feel of his warm skin. His hand felt along my hip, sliding under the hem of my dress and—

     My eyes snapped open with a gasp. A loud moan echoed throughout the room— mine, I realized in shock. My stomach was tangled in boiling knots, my body trembling ever so slightly as my hands fisted the sheets around me. I blinked up at the ceiling and listened to the loud drum beating in my chest. What the hell just happened? I touched a hand to my lips. They were sore, slightly swollen, and still moving to the memory of a dreamed kiss. It had felt so real...

    I sat up with a sigh, trying to slow my racing heart, and pressed my palms to my gritty eyes. The grandfather clock ticked quietly in the corner. 3:06. My bones cracked. I slid my legs over the edge of the bed and hunched forward to rub my throbbing head.

    Voices pulled me from my daze. Whispered conversations drew to the door on the pads of my toes. The thick wood dampened the words, but I instantly recognized the lilting tone of Lumea's voice. Her words were hushed and hurried with a panicked frenzy that made my fingers twitch. Mrs. Potter's own motherly cries did very little to soothe her. I gripped the doorknob in my hand.

    Suddenly their words stopped. Footsteps bounded toward my door, another set darting away. I jumped away from the door and threw myself into the bed. I sank into the mattress and stuffed the blankets on top of me. Hush! I begged my heart. If their hearing was as good as an actual wolf's there would be no rambling my way out of this one. It settled into an anxious skip the more time passed. I squeezed my eyes shut. Waited.

     But the door's groan never came.

I nearly choked into my cup as Beast strode into the dining hall. Beside me, Mrs. Potter gave a knowing smile and bowed as she left. Heat stormed my face, no doubt turning it the same shade as the blood in my veins.

    "Good morning," he said, his tone more animated today than ever. His smile was somehow even more dashing.

    Dashing? I turned my head away from him. What the hell is wrong with me? I lifted my glass to my lips again. My hands shook ever so slightly. "Good morning." I wrangled them back into my lap and met his amused gaze. Something glinted in his silver eyes, a warm taunt that made me feel as if I'd missed out on a secret joke. He settled into his chair and tucked his napkin onto his lap. Mrs. Potter bustled in with our plates of steaming eggs and sausage, fruit of all kinds of exotic assortments. Her smile never faltered as she handed each of us our silverware. A rosy blush stained her wrinkled cheeks. She flashed me a quick wink and hurried back out.