To quote Vampira again...

It took four tries that morning to start my car, and I had a sinking feeling that she was going to pack it in and call it a day pretty soon. She was at least twenty years old and pretty worse for wear- not to mention a bilious shade of yellow that meant she announced herself loudly wherever she went. 

The petrol tank was also dangerously low

The petrol tank was also dangerously low. And just to add a little extra worry to the morning-on top of the whole strange Ben thing-I got an SMS from my sister:

Katie: Dad broke into the house this morning and found the money you sent me!

That terrible plunging feeling formed in the pit of my stomach. It always formed at any mention of my father.

In all my 21 years, the most shocking thing that had ever happened to me, the day my world fell apart, was the morning the bank and the sheriff showed up at our house.

Apparently we were being evicted.

My dad was out-as usual. We all knew where he was-that wasn't a secret. My mom looked shell-shocked, as usual. It was an expression she'd worn on her face for as long as I can remember. I was 15 at the time and my younger sister was only 11. I remember how terrified she was.

The bank was repossessing our house and my father had been aware of it for over six months. He hadn't bothered to mention to his family that he'd gambled the entire house away and spent the rest on prostitutes-we all knew he slept with them after a "big win".

They hauled us all out onto the pavement in front of all the neighbors while locks were changed and furniture was moved out. By the time they were all done, we were left with only our clothes, a few personal possessions, and an old rusty caravan that smelled of cheap perfume.

A ball of anxiety formed as I responded to my sister:

Sera: Bastard. Did you call the police on him?

Katie: I tried. Mom stopped me.

Another ball of anxiety formed. My mother was a huge part of the problem, still supporting my dad even though he was constantly unfaithful and had ruined all of our lives. Worse, I knew the implications of his latest theft. I sighed again.

Sera: When do you need to buy your textbooks?

My mother only had a part-time temp job, which barely covered food and basics around the house. She'd gotten pregnant young, and, back when my father was still vaguely sane, he'd supported the family, making her a stay-at-home mom.

So I was single-handedly putting my sister through school. Katie was smart, and I was not going to let our father ruin her life. I wanted more than anything to give her a fair shot. She had such potential. She wanted to be a surgeon, and had the marks for it, but med school is just about the most expensive thing you can do, but I was determined to see her do it. I wanted her to go to college and enter the working world without student loans that would cripple her for years to come-like me.