T W E N T Y - T W O | C A M E L S P I N

Camel Spin:  A spin in which the free leg is extended backwards with the knee held above hip level

Rosaura didn't think much of what she was seeing. She knew not to believe everything in the media. The picture in front of her was probably innocent, but fabricated into something larger by other individuals.

The picture in question was of Xavier with two blond chicks beside him. They were kissing him on both cheeks, alarmingly close to his mouth. Xavier didn't look surprised at the affection as he was smiling in the photo. Behind him were a bunch of other people, drinking and talking. The evidence of a party was abundantly clear. 

She ignored the slight irritation sparking in her chest. Rosaura had called him, in the morning after she had seen his missed calls, but he hadn't picked up. She hadn't called again. She was busy practicing for her upcoming competition but also spending time with her mom and avoiding her sister.

Her phone rang and she looked to see that it was Xavier. A part of her wanted to decline the call, but another part of her wanted to see what his side of the story was.

"Hey," she said softly. "I called you back this morning."

"Yeah," Xavier said with a sigh. "Sorry about that, I was sleeping."

"Late night?" she asked, keeping her voice casual.

"Something like that," Xavier mumbled. She could hear rustling on the other side and so she thought he was probably getting out of his bed right now.

Not knowing what else to say she mumbled the words out, "I'm sorry about last nights loss."

She had stayed up to watch the game but then she somehow feel asleep on the couch before the third period ended. When her blurry eyes had awoken to glance at the screen, the game had been done. The team had lost in a spectacular fashion and all the media outlets were grilling every movement and decision of the players and coaches.

"Are you feeling better now?"

Xavier swore on the other side.

"You okay?" she asked alarmed.

"Yeah, I just stubbed my toe on the side table. And to answer your question, yeah, I'm feeling better, a bit hungover, but better."

"Oh..." Rosaura said. He still hadn't mentioned the party, so she tried getting him to do so with a more direct tactic. "Did you go to a bar or something?"

"No, nothing like that." Xavier responded seemingly trying to assure her. "I just hung out at a couple of teammates rented house. We had a few drinks and then I passed out."

Rosaura felt betrayed and she wanted to snort. It was just not a couple of teammates in the house unless girls suddenly played on Canadian Men's World Junior team. She couldn't believe he was not telling her where he was last night unless he had something to hide...

There was a lapse in their conversation and a part of Rosaura broke. They were never awkward with each other. Yes, at the beginning of dating, when Rosaura had been shy around him, she would occasionally keep silent but the last couple of months they had a solid rhyme. They would laugh, and joke and share what was going on in their lives.

"I have to go to practice now," she lied.

"Okay," Xavier responded but he sounded relived.

"Talk to you later," she said before quickly cutting off the phone.

With the end of the call, she wanted to throw her phone at the wall. Instead, she did something she never did—she googled Xavier.

What she saw broke her heart even more. There was a recent picture of Xavier on a couch and lipstick stains over his chest. The décor looked the same as the other photo and Rosaura had no doubt that it was from yesterday. A pain she hadn't yet experienced filled her body. The two of them had been going so strong, what did she do to destroy their relationship? Was she not enough for him? It clearly seemed so.

---------------

"And then, he had the nerve to lie to me!" Rosaura exclaimed in between breaths to Val.

The two of them had decided to go for a run—well, it was more like Rosaura forced Val to go running with her. She was annoyed, and the pent-up energy could only be released outside or by hitting something. She choose the former.

Val frowned. "Are you sure that you let him explain himself clearly? Xavier's not a guy that hides much."

Rosaura rolled her eyes and spoke with gritted teeth, "exactly whose side are you on?"

"Yours," Val replied quickly. "But, you didn't do yourself any favours by googling him. You of all people should know how harmful that is!"

Rosaura remained quite. She wanted someone to understand her anger for being lied to. She didn't want to call Brea because she figured the girl would make excuses for her brother, her mom was gone the entire day, and her sister Haya was out of the question. That only left Val. She had finished explaining the scenario that had transpired earlier in the morning and Val had listened but didn't provide any useful advice. Thinking about Xavier made her feel worse and she could feel tears threatening to fall from either frustration or heartbreak.

Val stopped her and looked dead into her eyes. He saw for the first time how emotionally vulnerable she was. "I'm going to beat him up." He vowed in quiet, dangerous anger.

Rosaura shook her head. "It won't make anything better. Please don't talk to him about this. I knew our relationship would be coming to an end anyways. We're both always travelling, and he's surrounded by beautiful girls all the time."

"Rosaura, you're beautiful too." Val said softly.

"Not beautiful enough to keep him faithful."

Val's gaze hardened. "There is the beauty inside too. You are kind, caring, and one of the sweetest human beings I have ever met. Don't let a stupid boy think you're not hot, because you are."

Rosaura felt a bit better and she gave Val a hug. "Thank you for being there for me always."

He hugged her back, "It's my pleasure."

The two of them ended their run and Rosaura opened the door to her parent's house. The T.V was playing, and she could see that the hockey game was on. Her Dad must have left the game on before he went to the store. Rosaura could make out Xavier's number on the television even though she didn't want to. She sighed before shutting for the T.V. It just hurt too much. Nobody had warned her that a heartbreak could be this bad. With a bowl of ice cream, she went to her room to grieve some more. 

--------------

So, why do you think Xavier lied? Does he have something to hide?