Chapter Four

So here was my plan. Tomorrow, (I’d have to figure out a way to get them together) when Max gave Connie her present, I’d ask Connie, “Don’t you have something to give Max?”

            Most likely, she’d go like, “What do you mean?” Then I’d leave the room and bring out Connie’s present to Max. She’d be too stunned to say that she didn’t buy it. Hopefully. That was something I’d have to pray works itself out. And, once they saw the presents, the beautiful cards (which, by the way, I’d have to buy for Connie along with her present for Max) they’d be a happy couple again and I’d be able to tolerate being in their presence. The problem was getting them into the same room to exchange the presents. Oh well. I had a whole day to figure that one out.

            As Connie looked for a parking spot, she said absently, “It’s Saturday so it’ll be pretty crowded. Let’s try to stay together, okay?”

            “Okay!” I chirped, though I felt an nervous churning in my stomach. I glanced at Ryan over my shoulder and made a face that said, “This should be a problem.”

            He made a face back that said, “I’m gonna want more pay.”

            I gave him a face that said, “What, are you all determined to see me in the gutter, bro?”

            He shrugged innocently. Of course.

            It was packed in the store, which was good, because there would be plenty of people to hide me when I finally sneaked away. The clothes section was on the far end of the store. My tote bounced against my thigh as I walked with Connie and Ryan. I was wearing large, uncomfortable boots that CLOMP, CLOMP, CLOMPEDon the tiled floor, making me sound like a clumsy horse. Ryan was moaning every so often, sounding dreadfully ill. And every so often, I slapped the back of his head to shut him up.

            More people were filling the store, making us all look like sardines. Connie, Ryan and I had to press our arms to our sides to weave threw the crowd, but every face that I saw raised my spirits. These people were going to help me hide from Connie. I felt like a spy, ready to begin a top-secret mission. I actually giggled a little bit, which was shocking. Ryan must have heard because he made an amused face.

            When we finally reached the junior section, I decided I should probably start my search right away. I needed a nice long time, since I had no idea what present to get Max. I knew he liked baseball; he used to play it in high school. I often went over to his and Connie’s house to watch Nascar races with him. His favorite racer was Jeff Gordon. As I absently skimmed through racks of clothing, I was thinking. He liked music. His favorite band was Bon Jovi, though I never knew why. That screaming mess of electric guitars and hoarse old men always gave me headaches. But this wasn’t about me. Perhaps I could get him one of their CDs? The problem was, I didn’t know which ones he already had.

            Okay, time to get going. Connie’s back was turned. I gave a miserable Ryan the thumbs up. He sighed and plodded over to Connie, ready to begin his distraction. But just as I was sneaking away, she turned and said, “Stace, what do you think of this?” She was holding up a cute yellow hoodie. It had a beautiful cut and would look absolutely adorable on her and I really wanted to see. But I couldn’t. When she saw me sneakily stepping away from the section, she frowned. “Where are you going?”

            I looked around nervously. “Oh–uh, there’s something here I want to see.”

            “That’s the woman’s section,” she said flatly. Connie was very petite and she was stuck in the junior’s section, as was I.