Chapter Six

Paper, scissors, tape, a bottle of glue, and purple glitter were scattered about, obviously having been tossed there by my unenthusiastic brother. But I didn’t mind. I settled myself down in the middle of the mess, took a scissor, and started snipping away at the red paper. I cut it into long strips. Then a pink piece of paper. Then a red. I spread glue across the pieces and sprinkled sparkly purple glitter. The more sparkles the better! When it dried, I started putting together a paper chain, using the tape to hold the strips down.

            When I was twenty minutes into the absorbing work, there was a knock on my door and I leapt to my feet and shoved everything underneath the bed, wrinkling all the paper chains.

            “What?” I yelled, using my fingers to (attempt to) pinch up the fallen glitter.

            “Um, Stacey, what’s going on in there?” Oh bugeyes. It was Mom. She must’ve heard how quiet I’d been in there. Usually I’d have my music blasting so loud the house shook. I glared at the walls around me. They were so dang thin! Because of them, Mom was able to hear how quiet I was being in here . . . um, even with an algebra equation, I couldn’t work that out.

            What was I doing? The paper from my algebra was still askew on the desk. I went over to it and started ripping up the scrap paper. It felt good. “I’m just tearing up my stupid algebra papers!” I called, which was completely true.

            Mom was silent on the other end of the door. She hated my lack of enthusiasm for schoolwork. But she couldn’t blame me! She didn’t have to do the stupid stuff!

            “Well, dinner will be ready in a half hour.”

            “Yeah, okay.”

            When she left, I clicked on my laptop and while it booted up, taped up more circles for the chains. Then I made sure my door was securely locked and then blasted my heavy rock music, just to drown out the silence in here.

            I worked without any interruptions for a long time. It was very pleasant work. Eventually, Ryan came into help and he made this huge 3-demenstional heart that he said was a centerpiece. He scowled when I cheerfully lavished it with more glitter.

            About five minutes before supper, I left the room to see if Mom needed any help setting the table, but not before making sure my door was securely locked. Ryan was still in there, working on his stuff and trying to wipe off the purple glitter.

            As I walked passed Connie’s room, I saw her on her back on the bed, reading a thick paperback book. I squinted and tried to see the title before she looked up and saw me. Her eyes narrowed and she moved swiftly from the bed and over to the door, which she slammed shut.

            I stood there, my nose having been two inches away from being squashed. I had been able to read a few words of her book, “To Expect When” but that was it.

            At the dinner table, I tried not to look as tired as I felt. My back was killing me from sitting on the floor for so long. But I was starving. Our dinners were always quiet. Everyone was too absorbed in the meal to hold conversation for long. But this night it was a different kind of quiet. Uncomfortable, like. I knew it was because of Connie and Max. Also, I knew that Mom, who was sitting on one end of the table and staring at Connie as she ate, knew more than she said. I guessed that the reason Ryan wasn’t talking was because his throat hurt from screaming so loud in the store. But despite everyone’s discomforts, I ate contentedly because I rested in the fact that everything would be fine by tomorrow.