Chapter 8

I like strangers. They're new and unknown to me so I have no reason to dislike them. But then again, we all fall in love with a stranger.
- Gen

Wes

I looked down at the absolutely stunning woman dancing with me.

She looked so happy and free as she moved her body to the beat of the energetic music.

It was wonderful to watch. It was even better to actually in be the action.

I was still shocked over the fact that her ex left her. How do you leave a woman like Lyla?

She was perfect in every way.

I suddenly pull her close and she continued dancing, always looking up at me.

She had beautiful eyes. I could fall in love with those eyes.

She smiled at me and gave me a quick kiss. I felt like the happiest man in this room.

Suddenly there was loud alarm ringing through the whole building and the music was brought to a sudden end. The neon lights turn into red flashing ones.

I felt for Lyla and pulled her close. I didn't want to lose her. The alarm had stopped but everyone was in a frenzy.

We were all confused. What had happened?

Lyla gripped my hand, "Wes, what's happening?" she asked me, worried.

"I'm not sure. But don't worry, I got you." I told her, smiling.

She smiled back and nodded.

Then, the lights went out. The whole room was in pitch darkness. I felt for Lyla and sighed in relief as she gripped onto my shirt.

I felt around for Gen, but I couldn't be sure if I was touching the right persons.

"Gen?" I called out above the noise of panicked people.

"Wes. I'm over here!" She answered back.

"Ok. Stay right there!"

"Wes, I have a bad feeling about this." Lyla said to me.

I nodded even though she couldn't see. "I know. Me too."

Why did the lights go out like that? What was up with the alarm?

Soon everyone was pulling out their phones and turning on their flash lights.

Then we heard the crackle of a microphone starting up.

"We apologize for the mishap guys. There's something wrong with our equipment. We're trying to get it up and running as soon as possible."

I looked up and I see the outline of a man. He was the one talking.

"If you would like to leave now, the exit and entrance are now being opened."

A heart wrenching scream peirced the room. My head snapped towards Lyla's direction.

I could feel her hand being pulled out of mine. It was her scream.

I tried to grip her tiny hand but I was too late. In no time, she was gone.

Panic started to wash over me as I realized I couldn't see anything in the thick crowd of people even with the flash lights on.

She could be anywhere.

I desperately started searching, weaving through people.

But I didn't know which direction she was. I was probably in the wrong place. I just couldn't see her.