Drabble 2: Market

Damian looked woe begotten in the borrowed tweed overcoat and inferior buck-skin breeches but in spite of all his protests the fair lady would not be swayed to alter his clothing.

"Stop looking at me with such a miserable expression. You are the one who wanted to travel without the pomp and grandeur befitting the crown prince so this compromise you must make," Delilah tsked impatiently as they walked down the dirt road after dismounting from their carriage a distance away from the market they wished to explore.

"I look like I just finished hunting for truffles. All that is missing is my faithful piglet called fluffy," The man complained, "So utterly middle class."

"You couldn't possibly look middle class. There is something about the way you walk..." The Prince's companion trailed off uncomfortably with a harsh blush crawling up her neck which did not go unnoticed.

"You do know I rather like it when people compliment my gait and my good looks," Damian winked with a smarmy smile.

"Yes, yes, I am rather familiar with your likes and dislikes but we need to focus on making you look inconspicuous as possible. I do not venture out this far often but I am certain we shall blend in," Delilah gave the Prince a troubled once over, "I hope."

The farmer's market in the village a few miles east of Delilah's town was a melting point of many cultures especially due to the proximity to the eastern borders. People of all shapes and sizes and races were present selling from the smallest trinkets to the largest cattle.

Merchants were settled in informal columns calling down to bystanders to purchase their wares. Delilah and Damian were soon lost in the foreign merchandise.

"I was admiring this teapot and it occurred to me that your mother might find it suiting her tea table though I am not quite certain your mother likes me," The Prince uttered thoughtfully.

"Likes you? She would have you sleep in the master bedroom with her admiring your sleeping form if father had not put his foot down."

"But she hasn't spoken a word to me," Damian scratched his nose in confusion, "Such sadness, it would have been nice to harass you at odd hours if I could stay at your house."

"A very strange phenomenon to see my mother so quiet but I cannot repulse such blessings. It would have been highly inappropriate to share lodgings. It's a good thing indeed to have that outpost so close by."

"That decrepitude little thing is not fitting for my Royal rear. As a matter of fact..."

"Sshh," Delilah pounced onto his arm and pulled him away from the teapot selling merchant, "Why don't you ask the buffalo auctioneer to just announce who you are?"

"But, but, I really did want to buy the teapot. It had hand painted periwinkles and according to my mother that's a very sought after design," Damian protested sourly but let her manhandle him.

"I should rather you bought us a new cow since they cost the same as your precious tea set," The lady made a face.

"Cattle is really that cheap," The Prince asked in confusion and Delilah sighed and grumbled to herself.