9 ⌱ Listen & Run

"Honestly, who is this," Kevin laughed at Bonnie's music choice

"Hey! It's my car! If you guys want the aux cord, you should have driven your own car," she laughed.

"It's not that bad," Cooper said from the backseat of her car.

"Thank you!" Bonnie looked up at the rearview window to find Cooper's blue eyes. He casually looked up and looked back out the window, but Bonnie let her eyes linger on him a little longer.

Naturally, Kevin noticed the tennis match with their eyes. Cooper was playing in the eyes tennis match, but he didn't really know it. He wasn't trying to flirt, but maybe Bonnie took it that way. She definitely took it that way. Kevin did something with his own eyes: rolled them. "But what is this band?" Kevin snickered.

"It's Catfish and The Bottlemen. They're the best."

Cooper grabbed her leather headrest and leaned forward. "What?" He slipped through his playful grin. The grin that's a mix between curiosity and making fun of someone.

Kevin looked over and dramatically dropped his jaw like he heard a shocking news headline. "The who? I'm sorry what did you say?"

"Catfish and The Bottlemen!" Bonnie couldn't stop laughing.

"Wait!" Kevin grabbed the dashboard of her car. "Madilyn's house is right up there."

"Oh, thanks," Bonnie turned the volume down and slowed the car. "Which one?" The giggles in her car lingered away.

"This one up here I think. That's her car in the driveway."

Bonnie pulled into the long concrete path and turned her car off. The three got out of the car.

Kevin's mind was racing as he walked on the sidewalk to the front door. Tomorrow was Friday... the day the four of them are going to leave. It kept popping into his mind, and every time was more anxiety-inducing than the last. Thankfully, he wasn't alone...

Bonnie took the lead and went up the brick front steps. She lifted her hand to knock on the big, dark-green front door.

"Wait," Cooper said. He reached forward and grabbed her wrist. His fingertips on her skin were a little strong, and it sent chills down her spine. When he touched her like that, grabbing her wrist, she felt alive suddenly. Her heart was beating faster. She didn't want him to let go.

"Do you hear that?" he asked.

"What?" Kevin's voice had a subtle shake. "Hear what?" he said louder.

"Shhhhh," he said, letting go of Bonnie's arm. He leaned in closer to the door. He braced himself on Bonnie's shoulder as he put his ear up to the door.

The muddled voices on the other side of the door were faint, but with a little focus, he was able to piece it together.

So you think you can keep THAT in our house like that!? What is WRONG with you, Madilyn!

Mom, there is NOTHING wrong with me! I have anxiety. I freak out sometimes! And you don't help anything. You're so high-strung that I lose my mind! You're up in the rafters all day long! It takes everything in me not to —

Do NOT talk to your MOTHER that way. Satan really does have a grip on you, huh!?

Satan is not a plant that GOD put on this earth. Really!?

It's ILLEGAL!

Do you know ANYTHING, woman!? It's about to be legal in Tennessee. Here! In this state! Literally, if a cop walked in here nothing would happen!

EXCUSE ME!? You will NOT —

"Oh, my," Bonnie whispered outside to the boys.

"Did she really have—" Kevin started.

"Yes. She did," Cooper answered with a shocked snicker.

"We're leaving tomorrow to find them... how is she going to be able to go with us..." Bonnie started.

"This isn't good," Cooper dropped his head.

GO TO THAT ROOM RIGHT NOW AND PRAY! They heard from inside the house.

Slam!

"Here, this way," Kevin bounced over the trimmed bush to the left of the sidewalk and crouched along the flower bed at the wall. Cooper and Bonnie followed closely behind. He ran his fingers along the brick of the house until he hit the window with light coming through it. A rose bush sat at the window, but Kevin didn't realize that's what it was.

"Ouch. Gosh dang it," he winched his face to silent the pain. "That's a rose bush," he said with a tight chest.

Cooper chuckled at him.

Kevin stuck out the knuckle of his index finger and knocked on Madilyn's window.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Madilyn rose up on her bed. She looked at her closed door and peeked out her blinds. She grabbed the strings and pulled up the blinds, not caring how much noise she made. She unlocked the window and slid it up to show the screen.

"I was hoping you were a killer to put me out of misery in this house... Or my drug dealer," she shrugged.

Kevin had to cover his mouth to keep himself from laughing out loud. "I can't with you," he whispered.

"What in God's name are y'all doing at my window," she asked.

"We're leaving tomorrow. We were gonna surprise you and help you pack for our," he rose his fingers for air quotes, "camping trip."

"I just got into a huge fight."

"Oh... we heard," Bonnie whispered.

"Do you really think I'm going anywhere...?" Madilyn asked.

"Yes. I do," Cooper said.

"Obviously, I'm not," Madilyn said.

"Screw it. We have people to save. People we love. Get your bag. Cut this screen. We're leaving... tonight."