Chapter 16

After having washed my hands twice by decree of Damon on the basis of my "contamination", we are now in the dining area situating ourselves along the oak table while Mrs. Black brings out an assortment of Italian foods. The aroma has fully wafted itself into the room, and I can feel my mouth beginning to water. Damon guides me to the opposite side of the table and stands in front of the chair I can only assume to be the one he's so kindly assigned to me. I walk up but when he doesn't move I think he's actually going to pull my chair out for me. I feel a small smile about to emerge, until he ruins it.

"Aren't you going to sit down?" He commands more so than asks.

I scoff as I pull out my chair, I should've known better. He sits next to me then grabs the fabric napkin before him, clutching it aggressively. He looks straight ahead, not really seeing though. I scoot closer next to him and lean in towards his ear.

"It was just a peck on the hand, there's no need to be so sour." I try to say as delicately as I can, knowing I'm skating on thin ice.

His grip tightens further, "Oh yes there is. And in that case, lemons are as sweet as sugar compared to me right now."

"Your poor taste buds."

His lips quirk up slightly and I can feel his muscles loosen beneath me. His lips part with the ghost of a snarky reply that will never come, because his dad had just burst into the room.

"Let's eat! I've been waiting all night Cassie!"

"You can sit at the end of the table with an empty plate if you want?" She quickly responds.

"Ah, but what a waste of your hard work that would be!" He booms while laughing before he pulls her into a kiss.

And not just any kiss. He bends her back completely, keeping her balanced with his large hand in the middle of her back. She throws an oven-mitted hand into the air. I smile before I glance over at Damon who is laying limp, forehead resting against the table surface, a look of disgust plastered across his face.

"Mom, dad, for the love of God..."

I laugh loudly, covering my mouth with the back of my hand.

"What'd I miss?" a voice from the hallway asks.

Carter strolls in, one hand in his pants pocket. I can feel the table shift as Damon raises his head. Warmth hits my left palm as Damon's hand grasps mine. His grip tightens and I wince. He immediately releases me and looks down at his palm before his eyes reach mine. There's a hint of pain hiding behind his green layers as he mouths 'sorry' to me. I want to ask him what's wrong, but it'll have to wait since we're starting to eat.

Once everybody receives their plate of food and takes their first bites, the conversation strikes up.

"So, Scarlett, how'd you and Damon meet?" Cassie asks.

"Mom, please—,"

I cut him off, "well, he kind of ran into me in the hallway."

Damon bites into a piece of bread and whispers, "Funny, I remember it differently, clutz."

I nudge him in the ribs indiscreetly while still talking to his mother. He coughs, and then digs his heel into my foot in return. I turn and give him the best knock-it-off smile I can manage. He just smirks and continues eating.

"So you're graduating soon with Damon right? I do hope you two will be able to maintain a solid relationship even while parted at college."

Damon chokes but quickly follows, "We're not in a relationship mom. I've already explained this to you."