Chapter 28

"My what?"

"Your father."

"No, there must be some kind of mistake," I try to persuade.

Damon looks pain-stricken, "No, Scarlett, it's him. They have all his records, it's very clearly him."

I look past him; then, before I realize it, I'm walking past him towards the parking lot. He easily catches up.

"What are you doing? You have class!"

"I'll skip it. Where's your brother's office?"

"What do you think you're going to do, Scarlett?"

"To find out more, anything more."

"I don't want you near my brother."

I stop abruptly, "Well suck it up then Damon because I'm going to go see him with or without your help."

He swallows and runs his fingers through his hair, exhaling an aggravated sigh. I begin to tap my foot to show my impatience, and he immediately looks towards me annoyed but slightly amused as well.

"Fine, I'll take you."

* * * * * * * * * *

Before long, we pull up in front of a large building slathered with windows. I walk steadily inside with Damon trailing protectively besides me. I could tell he was becoming increasingly agitated the closer we got to the firm. We step inside a large elevator; we both remain silent as the tings of the floors speak. After reaching the seventh floor, the doors slowly spread and we enter a short grey hall. I can see office doors in front of me, one of them is Carter's. I figure Damon would know which is his so I walk forward toward the rooms.

"Excuse me, Miss? Do you need anything?"

A faint voice questions to the left of me and I stop. I turn to see a very young secretary sitting behind a desk. Her small hands are sitting neatly on top of each other and her lips are upturned in a shy smile. I smile back and answer.

"Yes, I need to see Carter Black."

"Do you have an appointment?"

"Well no, but this is his brother," I point towards Damon, "And I'm here regarding a case of Carter's. It's very important."

"Carter usually doesn't speak to anybody unless they have an appointment, but I can try to ask since you are here with his family."

She picks up a phone besides her and presses a button. I hear it ring once then Carter's voice comes through.

"Yes?"

"There's a girl here to see you about a case you're working on."

"Does she have an appointment?"

"Well, no, but—!"

"Then I have no business with her."

"Mr. Black, she says she's here with your brother."

There's a pause on the other line then he finally responds, "What did she say her name was again?"

The lady at the desk's cheeks turns pink as she realizes that she never asked for my name. She quickly puts a hand over the end and asks.

"It's Scarlett," I say.

She resumes her conversation, "She said it's Scarlett."

"Send her in," he replies.

"Okay I—."

"Only  her."

My face falls as I knowingly look towards Damon, already expecting his reaction. As I assumed, his jaw sits tight and clenched and his eyes are boring into the phone. I walk up and graze his arm with my fingertips.