Chapter Seven - The Escape

I threw my body against the door, and shouted as calmly as possible. "I'll be out in one moment!"

The empty book had fallen onto the floor by the table during the frantic ordeal. My first instinct was to lock it away in my drawers - I knew nobody should get their hands on that horrific book. Instead, I shoved it under my dress so that I could look at it later.

Oh, what do I do? I thought to myself whilst pacing the room. Am I going to stay like this forever?

For now, I needed an action plan. I threw on a cloak and wrapped a scarf around my head to hide my face. Cautiously, I opened the door and shifted out, making sure nobody saw.

As I passed the waiting parlour, I could hear the furious complaints coming out of Lady Anastasia's mouth.

"I have been waiting for at least ten minutes now, I expected better from this girl. What a disgrace!"

Sophie could be heard trying to calm her down. It appeared her attempts were failing, and I heard an angry click of heels storm towards me.

"You there, servant. Do you know where that pathetic artist is?"

My cheeks flushed red with fury. I had heard she was rude, but I had never expected her to be this vile! "Of course, ma'am. Let me show you to her." I sneered under my scarf as I thought of a plan.

She followed behind me with her small, rushed steps and mumbled under her breath.

I led her into a spare drawing room where I planned to give that vixen what she deserved. With a flourish, I whipped off my scarf.
"Now listen here, you little snake. I-"

Before I could continue, Lady Anastasia screeched at the sight of her duplicated face and fell to the ground in a hysterical manner. I looked down at her pathetic, limp body and snorted.

Well that was easier than I anticipated.

I boldly stepped over her and stormed out the door. I knew exactly where I was going.