Chapter Twenty-One

With hair and makeup done, Daniela and I zipped each other up in our light green, strapless bridesmaid dresses before going to help Kelly's mom get her into her wedding gown. Satin and tea length, the dress fit Kelly perfectly. She glowed and looked like the princess every girl should on her wedding day. The photographer came in to take some pictures while we all laughed, reminiscing about how Kelly had been planning her wedding since she was twelve years old. Kelly had a beautiful day for a wedding. It was sunny without a cloud in the sky.

We left the room Kelly used to get dressed and headed toward the sanctuary. We waited right outside the door.

"I'm so glad you're here with me." Kelly stopped and turned to look at me. I could tell she really meant it. Our friendship had managed to survive all the years we'd spent apart.

Her father stood a little ways away, waiting anxiously. He shifted his weight from foot to foot. I smiled watching him. This wasn't an easy day for him. I'm sure it's never easy for a father to give his daughter away. My dad never got the chance to give me away. At least he'd been there for Shayna's wedding. I forced an icy thought from my mind, determined not to let my own bitter memories interfere with Kelly's wedding.

Instead I focused on what was right in front of me. "Me too. I've missed you."

"Whoa, I'm going to start crying already." She ran a finger under her eye, trying to make sure the few stray tears didn't reach her makeup.

"Save that for when you're up there with Tom."

"You're going to have this too one day, you know."

"Let's just focus on you right now."

"All right."

We hugged before joining Daniela.

The doors opened, signaling the beginning of the wedding. I peeked in and watched as Tom stood at the altar with his groomsmen beside him.

As the music started, Daniela walked down the aisle. I waited in the entryway until she reached the halfway point, gazing up at the tall ceilings and enjoying the sun pouring in through the windows.

Right on cue, I started my slow walk. An idle thought about how I was supposed to be walking down the aisle in a different capacity hit me, but I quickly pushed it away. Just like Adam had said, I didn't actually want to marry him. Trying to give more significance to the date was self-serving and false.

I picked up my chin, smiled, and looked around at the beautiful stained glass windows lining the side wall. When I reached the end, I took my spot and immediately found Ben sitting in a pew on Kelly's side of the church. I gave him a small wave, filling with emotion just seeing him there looking handsome in a navy sport coat. Any doubts I had about us were gone. Ben didn't have to worry about me running away—there was nowhere else I wanted to be.

I held Kelly's flowers, did a short reading, and enjoyed every moment of their beautiful and simple ceremony.I even had to fight back some tears of my own. I felt grateful to have been part of her special day, to have had the opportunity to witness Kelly live her happily ever after.

We spent what felt like an eternity taking pictures outside, and I was probably the only one who didn't mind the heat. Gavin and I were the only members of the bridal party who weren't actually family, so we spent some time sitting under the awning of the church waiting to be called for a few more shots.

"You look beautiful today." Gavin smiled.

"Oh. Thanks. You look nice too." Gavin, like Tom and Kelly's brother Cole, wore a navy suit.

"That was a nice wedding, wasn't it? Sometimes weddings can be long and boring, but I liked theirs."

"I agree. It was really nice. I'm so happy for them." I leaned against the wall of the church as standing around in heels for a few hours started to wear on me.