thirty one | the news

IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE: GUYS, BEFORE YOU CONTINUE PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE DONE RESEARCH ON NON HODGKIN LYMPHOMA I AM NO EXPERT! I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE WHO HAS GONE THROUGH THIS SO IF I GOT THE CONTENT IN THIS CHAPTER COMPLETELY WRONG LET ME KNOW AND I'LL REVISE.

Other than that enjoy :)

----

It's been about two weeks since Zach came to see me at the hospital that night. I've consciously blocked out any updates on my chemo since then, and I wish I could say that it was for a good reason. But really I'm just scared.

I'm so terrified of getting bad news that I've settled on receiving no news at all. It's a cowards move, I know. But I can't help it.

Today however, Dr. Weker says I am absolutely needed in his office for a meeting with him and my parents. I wish I could find solace in the fact that he wouldn't drag me to a meeting only to hear that this round hasn't worked either, but I know that would be naive of me.

Doctors are expertly trained in delivering bad news, so I know that today could go either way.

My dad wheeled me into Dr. Weker's office as my mom walked alongside me, clutching my hand. We've been tense ever since this meeting was booked, not knowing what to say, what to prepare for. But as we sit in this office waiting I can't help but feel the need to say something to them.

"Thank you, guys." I whisper, almost afraid to speak any louder, as if it would bring the world in on this moment that's meant for just them and I.

"For what, honey?" My mom kindly asks and she clutches my dads hand, no doubt afraid for what I'm about to say and the news we're going to receive. 

"For being so great during all of this." I say through a sad smile, looking at both of my parents with love in my eyes. "I know I haven't made it any easier, but thanks."

"Don't apologize for anything." My dad says gently, but firmly, as tears he will no doubt hold in cloud his eyes and fall freely down my mothers while she nods in agreement. "Nobody can tell you how to react to going through what you have, and I am proud to say that you've handled it like a damn champion."

All I can do in return is nod and smile. Knowing that if I talk I might end up sobbing. And as we all attempt to collect ourselves Dr. Weker enters the room, giving us all a polite smile and greeting, but giving nothing away.

"Alright, well I'm sure you're all anxious to hear my news so I'll just get right into it." He starts, with his doctors face automatically taking over as he opens my files and presents my lab results.

"As you already know, we had you move in here Leena because your chemotherapy wasn't working as quickly as we had hoped it would." He begins explaining, causing my parents and I to nod along in seriousness.

"Knowing your body was undergoing an aggressive form of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, with your B lymphocytes, or your B cells, spreading and growing quickly, we directed your chemotherapy to target those cells and stop them from not only growing, but also from spreading into your nervous system.

"Our last resort was going to be a stem cell transplant, but the risk of reintroducing B cells into your system was something we did not want to have to face. So you can imagine my extreme delight in the fact that I get to tell you that you have survived cancer, Leena." Dr Weker ends with a smile.

Time stands still after Dr. Weker finishes speaking. I can vaguely hear my mother sobbing, and my father thanking God as I stare numbly at my doctor.