00:01

.

Reed

.

I scanned the back garden with tired eyes, perplexed with my heightened self-reliance. I had to step out of this place and be there for my friend. I dropped my hand on each of the wheels on my chair and with perfect practice I turned the whole chair around, facing the front door.

Ever since I ended up in this chair I battled an inner war, trying my utmost to adjust and to evolve my life around the fact that I would never use my legs again. My family had to adjust around my flaws which I hated the most. We moved from out childhood house, I had to be home schooled, my Mom constantly had to help me and then there was my twin brother, Karl. Countless of nights he had cancelled to entertain me. I never allowed it and that's why I never spoke to him when he stayed me. Well, the silent treatment always lasted for ten minutes and then we were bickering like the normal siblings we believed we were.

But we were far from normal. I was the damaged sister.

I stared down at the long limbs attached to my torso, staring at them with confusing and a trace of anger.

"Why won't you work for me?" I whispered, willing my head to move them. They stared back at me silently, not giving me a answer I desperately sought. I casted my eyes over my legs and kept my eyes on the stairs that my brother would soon descend from on.

And just as predicated, he boomed down the stairs, clutching his car keys in his hand. He was about to jump from the last four steps when he spotted me at the bottom.

"What's up Reed? Need anything?" He asked, taking the last steps down sluggishly.

"Are you going to Jon's?" I asked him straight up before I chickened out with what I was about to do.

"Yeah and I need to leave now. He's needs us."

I dipped my chin at him and straightened my shoulders. "I want to come with you-"

Karl opened his mouth to say something but I cut him short with a shake of my head. "No really, I need to go."

Karl trailed his yes on my face and he must of seen the finality because he nodded slowly and walked around me. "Let's go."

Karl and I were non-identical twins. He had soft brown and brown eyes and there was me with dirty blonde hair and grey eyes. He went behind me and gripped the handles before wheeling me around to the front door. The ground was pretty smooth until we reached his car.

"You okay?" Karl asked, shooting me careful glances over his shoulder whilst he adjusted the front seat for me and moved the backseats down for my wheelchair. 

I rolled my eyes at him. "You should be worried about Jon."

Karl scoffed at me, reaching under my knees and hoisting me up. "I'm allowed to worry about my baby sister," he grunted out, carefully placing me on the front seat. 

"I'm just younger by two minutes," I reminded him, reaching over my shoulder for my seat belt and swatting away Karl's hand just in time. 

"You're still younger." Karl pointed out, slamming my door shot and folding my wheelchair in half. 

"By two minutes Karl!" I repeated, craning my neck over the side of the headrest to watch him struggle with my chair. After a few minutes he managed to put it in the back at an odd angle.

"I need a new car for you chair." Karl commented when he came to sit at front, jabbing his keys and switching on the engine. His grey SUV roared alive as I let out a small laughter in disbelief.