Who the Hell is Allison?

As soon as I stepped into the hall, it was like I finally regained control of my body, and all the shock of what just happened hit me like a brick wall. 

The corridors were empty of any students or teachers as far as I could tell, so I let myself rest against a row of red lockers when I turned the corner away from Mr. Brine's room. I closed my eyes— it felt like I couldn't breath. I'd been wanting to tell him off all year— he constantly picked on me and played favorites with other students, and wasn't even a good teacher to top it off. But I also wanted to graduate, and I didn't want to get suspended, so I'd held my tongue. Now the curse finally had me snap, and I couldn't even seem to decide how I felt about it. Terrified, and yet totally in control— an unbelievably confusing mix of emotions.

"Allison?" The deep voice startled me and I jumped, eyes opening. The last person I expected to find me hyperventilating was Kalvin, and I was almost mad about it— this wouldn't exactly make it any easier for me to breathe. But then he was giving me a half smile and squinting his eyes, his head tilting as he looked at me, and any negative emotion I had about the situation was out the window. 

"I— Yeah?" I stuttered, realizing he'd called me by name. I didn't expect him to remember it, since our only interactions came from being paired for a biology assignment junior year— which up until this point, was definitely my favorite high school experience. 

"That's my locker." 

My mouth fell open to speak, but I couldn't find the words. I pushed myself off of his locker and stepped out of the way, in a fashion that I hope didn't look as frantic as it felt. All I could feel was the heat of embarrassment rising to my face.

"Oh! Right, sorry, I didn't know. I was just... breathing," I said dumbly. Where was that confident, well spoken curse when I needed it?

He smiled, reaching for the lock, and I took the second to admire him in all his tall, dark, and handsome glory. "I didn't see you at the party on Saturday."

He noticed I wasn't there? Was he looking for me? My head spun as I tried to tell him I'd been busy, but it came out instead as a dry, "Yeah, I don't really like parties much." I swore in my head— of all the things for the curse to mess up, why oh why couldn't it just leave this alone?

"Oh." He pursed his lips, opening his locker, and I knew he was probably thinking of how boring I seemed. "I was looking for you."

"You were?" I asked, heart picking up speed in my chest.

He nodded, taking a jacket from his locker. "Yeah, I figured we could hang out. I'm actually taking off right now— if you're not busy, you could come with."

My mouth went dry. This was the moment I'd been waiting for for three years, coming true in front of me all because I'd finally stood up to Mr. Brine. Maybe I wasn't cursed, maybe I knew the day was supposed to happen like this all so he could ask me and I could say- "Eh, no thanks."

What? NO! I'M OFFICIALLY BOYCOTTING ALL PSYCHICS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

I tried to redeem myself, tried to say yes, but all my mouth did was give another denial, a half assed excuse that no one in their right mind would buy. "I'm supposed to be somewhere, you know, do some things."

"Come on," he coaxed, smirking as he looked me up and down. "Allison, we both know you're into me. No need to play hard to get."

Once again, I remained stone faced despite the fact that I felt like I could throw up. He knew? And he was being so cocky about it. I tried to ignore it and give him a flirty answer, but my body had different ideas, shrugging one shoulder and feigning a yawn. "Y'know... I just don't think we're compatible, really."

Kalvin scoffed, rolling his eyes. "It's not like I'm proposing to you, I just figured if you're so into me I may as well get something out of it."

My stomach dropped and I could tell the curse was choosing now to take a break, because my expression fell just as I expected it to. My eyebrows furrowed, looking at him in confusion.

"Your friend Quinn told me all about your little crush," he said, sounding almost disgusted as he slammed his locker. "Said you're practically obsessed with me. Forgive me for trying to do a little charity work."

His shoulder bumped into me as he walked past, sending me stumbling backwards, my mouth hanging open. I heard his footsteps start to fade and I had to force myself to ask the question I wanted to know. "When did she tell you?"

"What?"

"Quinn," I said, turning around to face his glare. "When did she tell you about my... crush?"

He shook his head, a hand coming up to run through his hair. Just five minutes ago, the action would have made me swoon, but this new insight into his character wasn't exactly a turn on. "She told me at the party. Said Allison would be so jealous if she saw us together, and I said, who the hell is Allison?"

I laughed shortly, somehow not surprised. If she'd told him after my outburst, maybe I would've understood. But her telling him for no reason? It made my blood boil. Suddenly I was appreciating the curse for having me tell her off, and not only that, but for saving me from wasting anymore time on Kalvin.

"Right, okay. Thanks," I said. In an action I wasn't sure was just the curse talking, I raised my hand, flipping him off as I walked in the other direction.

That's one way to end a crush, I guess.