This Curse Is The Worst

"Can I ask something?" I questioned, filling the silence that followed a conversation about our mutual classes. Derek nodded his head, mouth busy chewing a bite of the greasy pizza we'd gotten slices of. I threw my paper plate in a trash can as we passed by and Derek did the same, still holding onto what was left of the crust.

"What happened last year? You kind of disappeared for a few months." I thought back to our shared math class, and how the seat on the opposite side of the room had been missing Derek from December to March. 

"I was... I wasn't..." he moved his head back and forth as he searched for the right words.

I hadn't expected the night to go this well— or well at all— but the more we talked, the more I was starting to realize Derek was... well, he was a lot of things. Funny, well spoken, and maybe my obsession with Kalvin had blocked me from noticing how attractive he was, but he seemed to be getting more captivating by the second. Instead of my nerves dispersing, they were growing— the more I was around Derek, the more I realized the undeniable: I really, really liked being around Derek.

"I wasn't motivated."

I nodded, waiting for him to elaborate. He threw the rest of his pizza crust away, wiping his hands on his flannel shirt. We were headed towards the pier, where the rides loomed somewhat menacingly above the water.

"I just kind of lost the drive to do anything," he explained. Our hands brushed briefly and I had to force myself not to dwell on the sensation, the butterflies in my stomach multiplying at the simple touch. Had I really been missing out on this all year just because of a stupid crush?  

"I didn't have any goals, so I didn't see the point in doing anything. My parents were busy with their own problems, so they didn't really notice as I started missing days. A whole week went by where I didn't go, and they didn't even mention it. I guess part of it was I realized they didn't realize, and I figured if they didn't care, then why should I?"

We made it to the entrance of the pier and I looked on, watching him as he continued. He raised his voice to speak over the loud music, screams, and various noises emitting from the rides and booths around us. "Eventually my dad finally read the letters the school was sending home. He asked if I wanted to drop out officially, and work with him at his tackle shop, or if I wanted to go back. Long story short, I didn't want to work at the tackle shop." He cracked a smile, looking so different than the boy he'd just been describing.  "I had to work my ass off to not get held back, but thankfully the teachers were pretty understanding."

Just as I was about to ask a question, he told me to wait there and hurried over to a small booth. He was back in a minute, handing me three blue tickets and keeping three for himself. "What are these for?"

"You'll see." He continued to walk and I followed, glancing curiously around at the rides, wondering which one he was planning to go on. As long as heights weren't involved, I'd be fine.

"So what about now?" I asked, catching his confused glance. "Are things... better now? Have you gotten your motivation back?"

He shrugged, pursing his lips. "I just tell myself that I can't fall into a funk like that again— the thought of that is usually motivation enough. Plus, some days are better than others."

I nodded, looking up at him. "How's today?"

He grinned, meeting my gaze. "Today is a very, very good day, thanks for asking."

I laughed as we came to a stop, not even realizing he'd guided me into a line. My stare traveled past the people in front of us, and then up, up, and even higher up, my neck craning back as my eyes reached the top of the ride. "Derek," my voice was laced with concern and embarrassment, "I can't ride this."

"You can't ride a ferris wheel?" he questioned, looking confused and almost pitiful. 

I hit his arm lightly, not a fan of the unimpressed look. "Take me on the swinging ship, the fireball, the gravitron—"

He gave a half smile, scrunching up his nose. "Not exactly the most romantic selection of rides."

"I'm trying to say that I like rides, Derek, but this is..."

"It's...?"

"It's tall," I finished, scowling up at him. 

"I used to be afraid of heights," he admitted. The line moved forward and he stepped ahead— I followed reluctantly, not wanting to hold up the line, and curious to hear what he had to say. "You know how I got over it?"

"How?"

He pointed up. "Riding this."

I laughed, rolling my eyes. "Yeah right."

He laughed, apparently surprised that I thought he was bluffing. "I'm serious! I was twelve, and my older sister forced me to ride it with her— she said it would help me, and it did."

"Well it's not going to help me," I insisted.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I'm not going to ride it."

"Allison," Derek put his hands together, looking at my with wide eyes, "I'll beg if I have to. I've planned this whole thing out in my head, and it's only more sappy now that I know you're scared of heights." He jutted out his bottom lip and I laughed in disbelief, shaking my head. "Will you please ride the ferris wheel with me?"

This was one thing I couldn't be moved on. Derek could get on his knees in front of me, there was still no way I was going to say— "Yes."

"Really?" His face lit up, and my stomach churned. The curse had been quiet the whole date, but now  it had to make an appearance? Screw my earlier thought— this curse was the worst.

 The curse had been quiet the whole date, but now  it had to make an appearance? Screw my earlier thought— this curse was the worst