Jinx.. You Owe Me A Soda

It's early. It may be too early. Kandi Reign sits in the window and watches as the wind blows the old willow tree outside of her room. Raindrops the size of bullets beat on the window sill causing a tiny river along the ledge. Kandi can't help but wonder where the old woman came from. "She asked so many questions", Kandi thought. "How did she know my real name?"

Kandi had been up most of the night thinking about the encounter. It's not unusual for her to overthink in the middle of the night. She rarely slept anyway. As she sat in the window, she noticed the neighbors cat hiding under the shed, trying to stay out of the rain. Jinx (which wasn't his real name, but, it's the name that Kandi imagined it should be) is a black cat with one white paw. His tail was nothing but a nub. "Who cuts a cats tail?" Kandi thought, as she smiled. It was one of her quirks. She enjoyed ugly animals. Jinx wasn't ugly but, his tail sure was. 

She looks across the room at her alarm clock. 6:45am. In about fifteen minutes, she knew that her dad would walk down the hall to check on her, on his way out the door to work. He always checked on her and Nola before he left. You could count on it. Sometimes Kandi would climb back in bed before he came in, just so that she could think without interruption. Today, she stayed in the window. Like clockwork, the old door squeaked as it opened. There stood her father. He's about 5 foot tall and stocky, with skin that is the exact color of a bag of pretzels. (Kandi compared EVERYTHING to food). He never really says anything, in the morning. He just nods his head, as if to say "Wassup". Kandi nodded back and he disappeared into the bathroom. "How does he manage to poop at the same time every morning?" she wondered. 

She looks back out of the window. Hmm.. "Jinx is gone. He must've went back into the house.