This Can't Be Happening

The old lady could clearly hear Derryl and Kandi whispering. She interrupted from a cross the room. "What THIS old thing?" she said, while dangling the sausage from side to side. They stopped whispering and stared, a bit confused. She plopped the moist sausage down on the metal tray. Derryl clenched his teeth and whispered without separating them. "Bestfriend?" 

The old lady interrupted again. Come on over, Kandi. The two walked slowly toward the sofa. "So, THIS must be Derryl Bailey". Derryl's eyes damn near popped out of the sockets. "Your skin is so perfect" The woman reached her hand out towards Derryl' s arm. Kandi could see Derryl starting to panic, so she spoke up. "Yes he has nice skin...." But, Derryl interupted.. "No! No.. my skin sucks, I got this pimple and this pimple and look (he wiped his forehead) OIL, oil everywhere!" The old lady began to giggle. "They told me you would be funny, Derryl." Her smile immediately stopped. "You'll be perfect."

"So, how was the ride?" The old lady noticed Derryl fidgetting with his phone. "Don't bother, Son. There's no cell phone service OR electricity back here.." she said, sounding disappointed "but, we make do".

The old lady reached out her wrinkled fingers and picked up the smallest scalpel, off of the metal tray.

"Umm.... it looks like you're a little busy. Maybe we should come back later" Kandi said. 

"No, no don't be silly" the old lady replied. "Your my guests. I'll be right back" The old lady got up, rather quickly for someone as old as she was, and walked toward the back room. She turned around before she entered looked at the kids and walked back towards them, picked up the sausage, and said "oops, can't forget this" she giggled "you'll have one soon, hmm?" she said and disappeared into the back room. 

Kandi didn't know what to do. She'd changed her mind but, they were too far off of the main road to run, even though she could tell that Derryl really, really wanted to. Besides, she was much faster than Derryl, so  she was sure that they wouldn't get far. Anyway, it's not so bad. What's the worst that could happen, right?

They stood in total silence for exactly 27 seconds. She knew it was 27 seconds because Derryl was counting. "You can stand just about anything for 30 seconds" Derryl's dad always told the church. "If you get into a situation that you can't handle, count to thirty and then start again" He'd say. But, all it seemed to ever do, was make Kandi panic more. 

"Take these" Kandi and Derryl turned around to find a very tall VERY strong man standing behind them. I mean this guy looked like something straight out of a Frankenstein movie. Kandi froze. Derryl's knees immediately gave out. "Whoa" the man grabbed him by the back of his shirt collar. "We can't have you messing up up this soft skin" he said as rubbed Derryl's face. Derryl (not sure what to do) just let out a slight whimper "Kandi?"

"Shhh calm down, man, I'm just trying to to help." The man said. "Take these"

"No thanks" those are the only words that Kandi could muster up at the time. "Do you think that you could let go of my friends collar?" The man looked down. Derryl was squirming back and forth trying to take in as much air as possible. "Oh, sure, I'm sorry" The man said as he rubbed Derryl softly on the face, once more, just to make sure that he was okay. Derryl adjusted his collar as he plopped down on the dusty sofa to catch his breath. 

"You sure you don't want 'em?" the man sounded a bit slow. He handed the pills to Kandi. "I'm sure" she replied. "Mm-Kay, up to you" He shrugged his shoulders and sat down next to Derryl. 

As he stared directly at Derryl, there was an awkward silence. You could hear two voices in the back room. "It must be the old lady" Kandi thought. There was another faint sound. It began to get a little louder. It sounded sort of like a muffled voice, as if someone was talking with their mouth full. "They must be eating that sausage" she thought. As it got louder, Kandi and Derryl realized that it was someone screaming with their mouth covered. 

"Oh heck no" Derryl jumped up and took off! He was gone! Kandi couldn't believe that he just left her there with the Jolly Dumb Giant. "Some best friend" she thought.

The old lady returned from the back room.

"Now, where were we?" She asked. She smiled, as if she'd just saved humanity. She immediatley got confused, looked around and asked "Where's your friend?"

"Right here, Boss" a deep voice said. In walks ANOTHER unusually large man. In his right hand, dangling from his collar, was poor old Derryl. "We almost lost this one" he said. Both men laughed slowly.

"Kandi Dear, are you ready?" The old lady asked. Kandi disappeared into the back room with her. Leaving Derryl sitting awkwardly between the two guys. 

From the back room, Kandi could hear the guys bickering, like two little kids with giant voices. "Stop rubbing his face, Weirdo" one voice said  "Shut up, He likes it,  Dummy" said the other voice.  The old lady analizes Kandi's throat, as she spoke loud enough for both men to hear. "Do. Not. Make. Come. Out. There. Brandon and Cambron" she said firmly.  All was silent. 

"My apologies, sometimes the boys get a bit anxious. Shall we get started" Kandi took a deep breathe and said "yes."  The lady continued "This will hurt a little because your neck is sensitive. Just turn around, close your eyes and relax". Kandi turned. She started to wish that she had taken that pill. "AGHH.... UGHH.... OH MY GOSH". Kandi could hear her flesh being torn into. She could feel every movement. She desperately wanted to change her mind. She could hear Deryll panicking in the other room. He was FREAKING OUT! It was too late. And then, just like that, it was over. Kandi paused to see if she could feel the difference. "There.. all done"  Kandi tried to stand up. But, she was a bit weak. She returned slowly to the other room, to see her bestfriend.

Derryl was completely a mess by now. Kandi could tell that he thought she was dead.  "I'm fine, BestFriend" she said. "What did they do to you, Kandi? Why do you look like that?" he asked. Kandi turned around, lifted her 24" braids and showed him. Derryl was speachless. "Well, are you gonna say something?" she asked. 

Derryl was obviously pissed. He just looked Kandi right in her eyes and hollered. "A Dermal!?"