Powers

-----

Katie

"Ha ha! Yes! There she is!" A man yelled in the room as we open the door. "The magical one that we've been waiting for." His chubby smile takes up his whole face as Jace pushes me into the room.

"Careful, she hurt herself." Jace says, smiling back at the old man.

As if realizing it for the first time, the old man's eyes go down as he sees me sitting in the wheelchair. "Oh lord heavens girl, what have you done?" He asks.

"Um, nothing important. Really, I'm fine. I'm more worried about this meeting." I say in a small voice, the sight of Tony in the corner of my eye as his eyes watch my every move. I try not to cringe at his gaze. "So, what is this meeting for?" I ask.

"To see what all of this-everything-is about. Like...why are there Smurfs. And why, no offense, are we letting a fifteen year old girl rule the world? Not just the country, no, not a town, but the world! I don't think a little girl is ready for something like this."

"Excuse me-" I say.

"Don't speak of the Empress that way!" Jace says, interrupting me, his voice sounding more confident than the look on his pale face.

"No, I'm not trying to be rude! It's just that...all of this. How is it even true? We're yet to see one of these Smurfs, and yet to know that all this money we're spending on all this mess isn't going to be worthless." My blood is already boiling, going up one degree every second, till finally as he's done speaking, I don't stop myself as I jump up from the wheelchair, my face a fiery blaze as I yell, "Don't call me a little girl! I've read books of the main character being a girl, small, but I'm not small, not like you can see my bones!"

"Can we do something...important?" Someone asks. Curious, I look more at the others who're at the long glass table in the middle of the room. My eyes skimming through everyone, I find him. His dark eyes and dark hair, the light wrinkles around his eyes. 

I smile, "Scott." I say, a little surprised. His eyes meet mine as he stands from his chair.

"You know him?" I hear Tony ask. Ignoring him, as Scott nears me, he bends down and hugs me.

"Where were you? It's like you just...disappeared yesterday."

"We...you girls went off without me. I mean I understand why you had to leave." The touch of his hand pulls me away a bit so he's looking at me. "What happened to you? Are you ok?" He asks.

I give him a confused look, "What are you talking about?"

"Katie, you practically had to be dragged out the room after your strange fight with Tony."

I hear someone laugh behind me. Curious, I turn around to see Tony, his usual smile on his face. "Zane said she's fine." His eyes harden when he looks back at Scott. "You look a little old to be together. Like...you look like you're thirty." He says to Scott. My cheeks warm as I quickly pull away from Scott.

"No, it's not like that." I say, "Scott is like an...he's a friend." 

"Yeah, we've only known each other for about three days." Scott says, his eyes focusing close on Tony.