Ready

-----

Katie

I know who they're talking about, and I know it's about me. They whisper to each other, thinking I'm not listening. They think they all know me...but they don't. My hearing since I've changed back to my original self has increased along with other things. I run faster, my arms and legs are stronger, and I can go for ten minutes without having to breathe.

I don't know if this is normal for all faeries, and I know that I should ask...but I'm afraid that when I do ask them it will only make me more different.

I've stayed secluded in my room for most the time we've been here. Sleeping seems to call for me more often than normal and my bed is so comfortable it's nearly impossible to say no.

"Hey, Katie," A soft voice says behind me. I jump and turn around to find Spencer standing there. Her soft features seem to glow in the light from the large windows lining every wall in the castle.

"Hey," I say, looking back to my friends in the kitchen. I see Jenna making a pie, and next to her my brother seems content on watching her as he sits on the barstool next to the island.

"Are they...a thing?" Spencer asks, motioning to my brother and best friend.

I shake my head, "I don't know. I think they are...they just haven't told anyone yet."

Spencer nods her head as if she understands the reasons why they'd not tell people. "Do you like them together?" She questions.

I freeze and look toward them again. They are cute together. But does that mean they're good together? "I don't know. I mean...he is my brother and she's my best friend." I clear my throat and look back at Spencer. "When I first met you...you'd barely talk to me. Why do you talk to me now?"

Something flashes across her blue eyes, "I think I just realized how much we're alike."

My eyebrow rises higher than the other, "In what ways?" I ask.

A smile seems to want to come across her lips, but she stops it, "I don't know. I guess at this point a lot of us are similar. All these tragic events happening to everyone."

I nod my head slowly, then stopping when I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Katie." He whispers into my ear. I pause, already knowing who it is.

"Go away, Tony."

"I need to talk to you-"

"Well, I'm busy talking to Spencer."

"I don't care if you're talking to Spencer. You can talk to Spencer later, this is important."

I look over at Spencer who is watching this with no emotion clear on her face. Her gaze meets mine and she smiles, "You go. I'll still be here."

Tony's hand takes my arm, lightly pulling me toward the balcony that no one uses, "What is it?" I ask when he closed the glass door, hiding the sound of our conversation. "I don't want to talk to you-"

"Well, sometimes you just have to do things you don't want to do." He says, his hand going down my arm. I look down at the floor, ignoring the shiver going through my body.