Chapter 14

Luke's POV 

Delilah and I walk back to my house in silence. I feel awkward after what happened in the park. She just saw me cry like a little baby, and the worst part is that I cried into her shoulder. Her shoulder. Guys aren't supposed to be the one crying on the girl, it's supposed to be the other way around. I'm such a loser.

When Delilah found me, I just wanted to be invisible. I wanted Delilah to turn around and leave, like maybe she didn't see me. But of course she found me within the trees sobbing.

Why did she have to be the one to see me cry?

I don't know if I'm so emotional because of the pills or what's happening to me. I've been taking them everyday, and I've just been feeling so much. It's like everything inside me is changing. Or I'm just hormonal. I feel like if guys had periods, this is what it would feel like.

I honestly thought Delilah would make things worse when she sat down beside me. I thought she was going to yell at me or say something horrible. But she helped. She comforted me a lot. It was nice to know that she was there for me. I still feel uncomfortable around her, just because she reminds me so much of Delia. She looks exactly like her, and I'm starting to see similarities in their personalities.

It scares me.

“What are you thinking about?” Delilah whispers. She must've noticed my pace slowed down as we're walking.

I nervously rub my nose and shrug.

“I won't tell Ashton about what happened back there if you don't want him to know.”

I nod my head. It's good to know that she won't share that with him. I don't want everyone to treat me like a child.

I type something in my phone and press speak. “Can you tell me something funny?”

Delilah looks over at me. “What?”

“Tell me a funny story.” I want something to keep my mind off of thinking about Delia and getting upset again. I think Delilah realizes that, so she starts to talk.

“Umm... Okay, I got one,” she says, a small smile growing on her face. “In second grade, we had a dinosaur play. And of course I had a solo. You'll never guess what I was.”

I look over at her with raised eyebrows.

She giggles a little and starts talking again. “I was the baby dinosaur. Oh, my God. I had to come out of this giant paper egg, it was huge. I sang this song in a high pitched voice, and then I was born. Like, I had to literally jump out of the egg. So I jumped, and I stepped on my costume. It broke in half. Thankfully, I had clothes on underneath. But it was this horrid Tinkerbell shirt with gold glittery wings that were peeling off. People teased me all the time about it. It was so embarrassing! I even had a huge binky around my neck and a giant hat.” Her cheeks are slightly red, and she covers her face with her hands. “It was horrible! My acting career was ruined!” she says, her voice muffled.

I can only imagine this happening. I wish I had been there to see it. I smile as I imagine it happening.

“Hey, you have a dimple,” Delilah says, poking my cheek.

I roll my eyes and swat her hand away, trying not to smile any wider.

“I've never seen you smile before,” she whispers.

I shrug and continue walking.

Delilah's right though, she's never seen me smile. Barely anyone has these past few months.