Chapter 28

it's been over a week since i last updated, so previously luke and delilah listened to the voicemail and delilah makes luke happy (if you had forgotten) and this is picking up right from where it left off

Luke's POV

After an emotional rollercoaster, with crying and sadness and hugging, Delilah and I decide we should go do something. We need to be happier. We're about to go for a walk when I look out the window, and see what's outside.

Snow.

In the past hour, there's at least four inches of snow on the ground.

I point outside continuously until Delilah looks over.

"What?" she asks, walking over to the window. "Oh, it's still snowing? It started a little when I came over," she says. She sounds unhappy about the snow. But this is the coolest thing I've ever seen!

I smile widely and run outside.

"Luke, you're gonna freeze! It's just snow!" she says, laughing. She stands in the doorway with her arms wrapped around herself.

I stand in the middle of the driveway with my arms open wide and stick out my tongue. The snowflakes feel extremely cold against my skin. They melt with in seconds. I try to see the shapes, but they're so tiny I can't.

 I pick up a handful of snow and try to make a snowball like I've seen in movies, but it's a lot harder than it looks. My hands freeze within seconds. I didn't realize snow was this cold.

"You're acting like you've never seen snow before!" Delilah yells from inside. "Wait, this is the first time you've seen snow, isn't it?!"

I nod quickly and run back inside. I put on my jacket, beanie, and gloves, even though I'm already cold and somewhat wet. I grab Delilah's hand and try to bring her outside.

"I don't have anything to keep me warm!" she says.

I quickly go into my room and get my other jacket and search for my other beanies. I throw everything at Delilah, and she tries to catch, but misses.

I wait impatiently while she puts everything on. Once she is, I run back outside.

"By the time it's Christmas, you're gonna hate the snow," Delilah tells me.

I shake my head and stick my tongue out at her. I could never hate the snow, this is amazing.

I try to make another snowball, and this time it comes out better. I throw it at Delilah, and she shrieks when it hits her.

"Hey!" she yells, making a snowball too. She tosses it at me, and I laugh.

This is so fun. I could stay out here forever. The snow is so cool, not just in the literal way.

I march through the snow, listening to it crunch under my feet. My feet sink deep into the snow with every step. I can feel it soaking through my shoes, but I don't care. It looks so pretty and clean and white.

Delilah is far behind me, so I walk back over to her. She's kneeling in the snow, making what looks like a giant snowball. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as to what she's doing.

"You're kidding, right?" she asks.

I shake my head.

"You don't even know how to make a snowman?"

I widen my eyes in excitement and kneel down beside her. She rolls the snowball across the lawn, which makes it bigger. I'm amazed of how the snow just sticks together like that. I can't stop smiling.