Chapter Eighteen

Kat comes into the dungeons the next morning shouting loud enough that Leyha, Kehdem and Ash have no trouble hearing her. She doesn't know this, of course, but there's a reason she works so hard at projecting as she goes on and on about how this is such a poor treatment of her associates — how could they, as foreigners, be expected to know all of Ranstead's customs in their first six hours in the city? But, after twenty minutes of shouting, Kat opens the little flap in their door, and the three prisoners cluster around it.

"Hi, guys," she says.

"Hi, Kat," Leyha says. Surprisingly, given she's the most guilty party, she's also the most nonchalant of the group. "What's the story?"

Kat sighs. "You really couldn't have waited until I got there, could you?" she asks. "No, no, don't answer. I'm sure you thought it wasn't a big deal, and normally it wouldn't be, but someone called the guards and you're not a trained poet, so..."

"So what?" Leyha asks. "Who cares who tells stories?"

"In Ranstead — and in most Northern cities, too — poets are some of the most sought-after talent, even more than carpenters or smiths. People say that Norassi isn't ruled by a Jarl, but rather by its poets. The Great Poets live like kings, for the richest families of Norassi bend over backward to cater to their wishes."

"Is that why you're headed there?" Leyha asks. Through the grating, she can't see Kat's expression.

"No," Kat says. "I mean — I'm not headed back to some elaborate life of privilege, if that's what you're asking. I'm going because that's where the best poets are, and my teacher is one of them."

"Alright," Leyha says. "And, back to why we're in jail... I really didn't know that I'd be stepping on so many toes. I'm sorry if I caused a fuss."

Kat sighs. "No, no, it's my fault," she says. "I should have warned you earlier. I just didn't realize that anyone wouldn't know how poets are treated... But I guess it's not like this, in the south."

"No," Leyha says. "But — I really am sorry, if it helps."

"Maybe," Kat says. "If you're willing to go before the jarl and beg his forgiveness... well, he'd probably let you out of jail on the condition that you left town immediately. And that would rather set us back on our timetable."

"Maybe not," Kehdem says, and then he tells Kat about the ship they found.

"Hmm," Kat says when he's finished. "I'll see if I can get the jarl to meet with you. It would be best for us if you could meet with him on the day the Huntress was leaving, but that's a bit early for him. Maybe he'll be willing to let you stay one more night in the city..." Kat trails off, and it's clear to the rest of them that a plan is coming together. "Alright, well, I should probably go," she says. "There are a couple of people I'd like to talk today. I'll see you tomorrow."

"We'll be here," Kehdem jokes. But Kat doesn't respond — she just lets the door flap slam shut. Kehdem isn't really insulted by her absent-mindedness, but he's really not looking forward to being cooped up for another day. He had been rather enjoying being free from the cramped dwarven construction, but being cooped in a cell like this makes him feel like he's back there.

"Hey, Kehdem," Leyha says. "As long as we're trying to kill time, d'you want to do some magic practice?"

Kehdem shrugs. "Sure, why not?" he says. "What would you like to practice today?"

"Hmm, I don't know. I kind of like the sound of lobbing around some fireballs," she says.

"Fire, not magic?" Kehdem says.