Play

I had to concentrate hard on keeping my hands from shaking. Even harder to keep my voice steady as I replied.

"If you're done treating my fingers like a lollipop, I have work to do." I went to the sink and washed my hands as casually as I could. I heard him laugh softly.

"That's put me in my place." He smiled at me as I turned towards him, wiping my hands.

"I doubt that." I heard voices outside the door and saw Selin and Nix hovering with Anders. I waved them in. "Come in, we're done."

"He looks pale." Anders said sharply.

"No surprise. He's been exerting himself." I said, folding my arms across my chest.

"Doing what?" Selin asked.

"A lame attempt at flirtation." I shook my head in mock exasperation. Nix burst into laughter, while Selin smiled. Anders looked from Damian to me and back slowly.

"I shall do better next time." Damian said in a low voice. I saw him shiver slightly.

"Well, to be fair, you were attacked by a bear." I said, moving to the cupboard to open it and taking out a blanket. "That would affect anyone's skills." He laughed and I could see the other three exchange glances. God, they probably thought I was either the height of rudeness or just incredibly stupid. I mean, who spoke so casually to the son of the Clan Leader. The shock must have affected my brain, I decided. I spread the blanket over his legs and pulled it up over his waist and torso upto his shoulders.

"Right, that's you sorted for a few hours." I said briskly. I looked at his three companions. "He rests. That means sleep. If he needs to use the facilities, they're through that door and someone has to go with him and stay with him. I'll be back later to check on you." I glanced at him.

"Whatever you say, Healer." He kept his unnerving gaze steadily on me. I nodded at the other three and got the hell out of the room.

***

I spent the next few hours busying myself with as much as I could, keeping my mind off the patient across the hall from me. I had to get through this day best I could and then I'd have time to process, to deal with this. 

I came back two hours later to find him asleep, Nix and Anders sitting in the corner chairs talking softly. I nodded at them before leaning over him to measure his temperature and examine the dressing on his largest wound. It had oozed a little last night but I was glad to see the latest dressing was clean. I gently wiped the ointment from his arm wound, running my fingers over the edges, bending closer to look at my stitches. Yes, they were holding and there was no sign of pus, no infection.

I felt it then, his thumb pad brushing my cheek and, as I glanced at him startled, his thumb stroked my cheek again. He opened his eyes to look at me.

"Hello, Marien-Ri."

"Had a good nap?" I asked him, straightening up and deciding to ignore what he'd just done. Damian, I had decided, liked to play. And I didn't. Never mind how fast my pulse was or how dry my mouth was - stupid mate attraction - this was one game I had no intention of playing.

"Slept like I was drugged." He said stretching and then wincing.

"You were." I chuckled. "That tea you drank was meant to enforce rest."