Part 11: A change of heart

So from here until the last chapter (which is probably chapter 13 or 15) I will be making my chapters as LONG as possible. (This is just a sequel to Shattered and I was hoping it would go on a bit longer but seeing as I'm running out of ideas for this story, I might as well end it instead of leaving it on hiatus like my other stories.)

Again, enjoy!

Ash's POV

Dawn and I went back home and went into our rooms to sleep. I looked over at the tuxedo that was hanging at my closet. I sighed as I went into bed and pulled out the locket containing the family photo.

Just then, my phone began ringing.

I answered it, "hello?"

"Good to hear from you, Ketchum.." It was Kenny!

"How the hell did you get my number Kenny.."

"I'm a businessman Ash. It was that simple."

"What do you want?" I said angrily.

"My terms are simple.. I want Dawn." He says it in a way that makes it seem like I'm just gonna give her to him easily.

"What the hell makes you think I'm gonna just hand her to you?" I said.

"Oh you will.. you're getting married the day after tomorrow right?" How'd he even know that? "If you don't hand her to me.. I'll kill your fiancé."

My eyes widened. I mean.. Sure, the Serena now is a different person and much more meaner than the one I know but, she didn't deserve to die. I couldn't let that happen. But, I couldn't hand Dawn to him either. What am I supposed to do?

"You'll give me Dawn before the wedding.. if not.. I'll shoot your wife the moment she walks down that aisle." He said as he hung up the phone.

I threw my phone down not knowing what to do. It was useless to keep Kenny locked up knowing he'd only be bailed out again. I needed to have tight security at the wedding but, that was going to be expensive. I laid down on my bed again and looked up at the ceiling. I sighed as I closed my eyes and tried my best to sleep.

The next morning

I woke up and went downstairs to see Serena in the kitchen. Dawn was probably still asleep so I went ahead and made some coffee.

Serena wasn't talking to me but, I had to tell her what would happen at the wedding.

"Hey.. Can we.. talk?" I asked her.

She raised an eyebrow at me as she washed the dishes. "What? You want to end things with me before the wedding?"

"No. It's not that it's just.. I can't tell Dawn about this without freaking her out so I figured.. I should tell you." I said.

She looked at me and sighed, "go on."

I sat down in a chair and began telling her everything. About how I saved Dawn from Kenny to him bailing out and now threatening to kill Serena if I didn't hand Dawn over to him.

She sat down in the chair across from me holding a cup of coffee in her hand. "That's awful.." she said, sympathy in her voice.

The kitchen went silent for awhile. I heard a sigh then looked up at Serena. "I'm sorry for being so mean to her without knowing what she was going through.." Now this. This was the Serena I knew.

I shook my head at her. "It's okay."

"We'll find a way to protect Dawn from Kenny. No matter what." She smiled.

"But, Serena.. there's a chance you might be—"

"Killed? Please. I've got tight security to keep an eye out on the wedding. I am the Kalos Queen of course." She said.

I forgot that she was the Kalos Queen.. so lots of guards would be watching out at the wedding in case something happens. Let's just hope they catch Kenny.

"Now, I'm going to pick up my wedding dress and prep everything for tomorrow. I'll see you later." She said as she gave me a peck on the cheek. Just as she was about to walk out the kitchen, I stopped her.

"Serena."

She turned around to look at me.

"Thanks." I smiled.

She smiled at me, "you're welcome."

Serena's POV

I walked out the front door and stood there for awhile. I could see it in Ash's eyes.. he didn't want this. He didn't want to get married.. well, to me at least. The way he talked about Dawn.. compared to me was.. different.

He loved her.

When he talked about me.. all I ever seemed like to him is that of a really close friend. Would all this be worth it? Maybe it can work out afterwards.. Dawn won't be spending time with Ash anymore after the wedding.

No..

Even I knew it too...

He loved her.

Ash's POV

Serena has agreed to help protect Dawn from Kenny. Something I was really grateful for. Tonight would be the 6th night of the millennium comet and I still haven't made any progress or figured out what to do to change everything back to normal. Everything just seemed so crazy..

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and saw Dawn walk in the kitchen. "Morning." She greeted. I smiled at her, "morning."

I didn't tell her about the phone call I had with Kenny. I didn't think she'd need that right now.. she poured herself a cup of coffee and sat at the table. "So, tomorrow's the big day, huh?" She smiled.

"Huh? Oh, yeah.." I said.

"You excited?" She smiled.

I chuckled at her, "I guess so."

"Everything okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, everything's fine—" I was cut off by my phone ringing. I looked at it to see an unknown number and assumed it was Kenny. "Excuse me for a second, Dawn." I said as I got up and left the kitchen to go outside.

"Listen, Kenny. I swear to god I—"

"Ash, it's Serena."

"Serena? Who's phone are you using?" I asked her.

"Not important. We have a huge problem."

I started getting nervous as she said that. "What kind of problem?"

"Well.. officer Jenny just informed me that security won't be able to be at the reception."

"What!? Why not!? Did you explain that Kenny might be after Dawn again?" I told her.

"Doesn't matter to them anymore because he'll just get bailed out again."

I sighed as I leaned against the front door.

"You love her a lot, don't you?" She asked me.

I didn't know what to tell her. I couldn't just say that Dawn and I had been married before in another life. She'd think I'm crazy. I had been silent for awhile that she answered her own question. "I knew it." She

"Serena.." I said as I tried to explain the situation to her. "Ash.. it's okay. I understand. We'll talk about this later, okay? Bye." She said as she hung up the phone.

I sighed.

I just want my old life back..

There you have it! Another update. So sorry for the delay :(