6: not worth cinnamon buns

michael found devon after fifteen minutes of searching for a neighborhood park (much to the taxi driver's annoyance). she was sitting on the swing set with her head bowed in shame, clutching her heels in her hands.

"hey," he said, causing her to jump in surprise.

"you came," devon said in surprise, leaping off the seat and rushing into his arms. michael wrapped his arms around her in confusion as she buried her face into his chest.

he rubbed her back as she pulled back, and he could see the tears brimming her eyes. "what happened? tell me everything," michael prompted, guiding her to the swing set where they both sat next to each other.

devon took a shaky breath before starting. "i was at my friend's party and i had to go to the bathroom so i went upstairs to look for one. then all of a sudden i feel an arm tugging me into a bedroom and..." she couldn't continue as she shook her head in shame.

"he didn't."

"but he did," she sobbed, letting the tears finally escape her eyes. "you know i usually wouldn't have a problem with sex, but i was months clean. and he was drunk off his mind and he probably didn't even know who i was and - "

"but you know who he was?" michael asked.

devon nodded, and another shameful look crossed her face. "calum hood."

michael fished his memory for how he recognized the name. "was that the guy you lost your virginity to?"

"yeah. he wasn't even worth those two cinnamon buns!" she cried, and michael leaned over to comfort her again.

"it wasn't your fault, i promise. there was nothing you could've done."

"i fought back, i really did. but he was too strong and he wouldn't let me go. as soon as he was satisfied he let me go and i ran out of that house, totally ignoring every single person who called my name and tried to stop me."

in a way, michael thought devon was a strong girl. he admired her toughness, but he respected her even more when he saw that she also had a sensitive side that she kept hidden from the world. and it was okay to break down every once and a while, because not even the strongest people can hold themselves together at certain times.

"but did he use a..." michael wondered out loud, trailing off.

devon remained silent for a while, keeping her gaze locked to her feet. "i don't know," she answered after what seemed like hours. "i was too panicked that i didn't pay attention." she turned her body towards michael, wearing a fearful expression. "michael, what if he didn't? what if i get pregnant?"

michael hopped off the swing, taking both of devon's hands in his own. he gently tugged her with him back to the streets. she gripped tightly to her high heels as their fingers intertwined. "don't worry about that now. let's focus on getting you home and cleaned up."

she nodded, too afraid to say anything else. michael walked further up the block, where he had told the taxi driver to wait, and led devon behind him.

"it's about time," the taxi driver muttered, starting the car as michael slammed the door shut behind him.

the ride back to devon's apartment was silent. when they finally made it back, michael paid the driver extra, which seemed to erase all traces of annoyance off the driver's face. this time it was devon's turn to take the lead, and she led michael to her second floor apartment.

"thank you for doing this, michael," devon said quietly, giving him a sheepish smile.

"it's no problem. that's what friends are for, right?" michael replied, pulling her into a tight hug.

what michael didn't see was that the smile had wiped off devon's face and was replaced by a sad look. and what michael didn't know was that the one person who had no idea what love felt like was falling irrevocably in love with him.

-

ooOOOOOO000000ooOH plot twists

how do you guys like the story so far??

and oH THANKS SO MUCH FOR 1K VOTES YAY THAT'S REALLY RAD ILY