31: the end

no, no, no, no, no.

this could not be happening, michael thought. he was supposed to die first, not devon. perhaps the gypsy had gotten their fortunes mixed up and she was supposed to die first? he pushed that thought out of his mind - he couldn't afford to think like that now. there was no way she could be dead.

but the only problem was that marina hadn't told michael how serious the accident was. he didn't know whether she had escaped with a mere scratch or a hundred broken bones. he had no idea.

in a hurry, he grabbed his car keys off the counter, which were for emergencies only. he didn't care about the bags under his eyes and his horrible breath and how he hadn't even bothered to do his hair. all he wanted was to get to devon and see if she was okay.

a million things were going through his head right now. panic, fear, and dread. you know that feeling when you're so scared that your stomach flips and you feel like you can't breathe and it feels as if the whole world is ending? that's exactly how michael felt, except a hundred times worse.

marina had told him that the accident was somewhere downtown, close to her apartment. this meant that he had to go right through the most trafficked part of the city, and who knows how long it would take him to reach the site of the accident? according to marina, the ambulances were on their way, even though she failed to mention what devon's condition was.

"michael, it's almost ten, where are you going at this hour of night?" his mom called, making michael rush even more. "michael? michael, come back here!"

"not now!" he snapped, slamming the front door shut and running down the flights of stairs until he reached the ground floor.

when michael pictured death with someone you love, one died in the other's arms. one felt the life leaving their lover's body and evaporating into thin air, but you felt only their love traveling inside of you, telling you, "hey, i'll always be here somewhere."

and these were michael's exact thoughts as he started the car and drove full speed towards downtown. the streets were crowded with pedestrians who, for some reason unbeknown to michael, wanted to come to this loud city with lights that blinded you at night.

but he didn't care about them. all he cared about was getting to the scene of the accident in time. he thought of all the things he would say to devon if she did die, and it went something along the lines of:

hey devvy, what's up? hey, i really love you. i care about you so damn much that it actually hurts. our love was perfect. it's the kind that you see in movies and that people point at and whisper, "relationship goals." i adore every little thing about you from the way your eyes roll back when you laugh and when you manage to joke around with a super straight face - which gives me whiplash, by the way. and you... you're so breathtakingly beautiful without even trying. i never get tired of looking at your bright blue eyes and that smile that's probably the most precious thing i've ever seen.

your love is a blessing to me. i will love you until the last breath i take and until the last word i speak. our love is one that will make the books. in fact, i hope someone writes a story about us because it's one worth telling. it's one that i hope everyone learns from and remembers that they should never take what they love for granted. and if you die, or if i die, or if this entire world dies today, then i want you to know that you will forever be mine.

of course, these words became unheard of, because in the midst of jumbled thoughts and scared emotions, another thing that went unnoticed to michael was the speed of his car, which kept increasing with every second. he almost missed the bright shining red light that was nearly screaming, "stop! please stop!" but he missed it a little too late.

and the tires screeched and michael screamed and smoke filled the air and all he saw was smoke and smoke and smoke and then

-

this was probably the most beautiful chapter i've ever written and also one of the saddest ok good afternoon friends !!

it's been a month how are you all did i miss anything spectacular tell me

how were all of your christmases and new years?? good?? i hope y'all got some nice presents and got 2000% wasted on new years thinking of me xoxo

my knee is all good now i can walk again hooray! only 6 more months until soccer i'm pumped

well goodbye until next time i hope you didn't cry as much as i did writing this :)))