16 - Hollywood Tool

Clinton is a big guy. Enormous. I had forgotten how big he really is after a few weeks being gone from the dojo. His left arm is the size of my thigh.If my thigh had been blown up like a balloon. He's got that close-cropped haircut, typical cop look, and even as he sits he has his arms crossed. In other words, he is intimidating. Perfect.

"This is really a thing? Off duty cops act as security?" Brianna is shocked at the thought. But even I've heard of this. It makes me wonder who's been sheltering her from real life, and why?

"It's pretty common in Los Angeles. We don't usually provide personal bodyguard services, but overseeing security for private events is the norm. With our shifts being spread out, some cops have more time on their hands. Especially the young guys just starting out. It's extra income." Clinton is casual about the whole thing, even in the presence of someone as famous as Brianna Royce. He doesn't seem nervous at all, unlike my first experience with her.

Brianna is nodding, a thoughtful expression on her face. "So, can we keep this pretty quiet? I really don't want questions from the media every time I'm out in public about my new entourage."

"It will be as hush-hush as you want it. I'm just an old friend." Clinton winks at both of us. "The only time we'd have other security around is during public events you attend, and having extra security there is expected. No one will ask."

Brianna nods again, then looks over to me. "I feel like an idiot."

"What? Why would you say that?" I turn to face her fully in the coffee shop booth. We've been sitting with Clinton in a back section for the past half hour going over details. The Starbucks in Hollywood seem to be prepared for the occasional celebrity meet up, considering they even have a semi private back section. The things you find out when you hang with the rich and famous...

"Because, how could I have not known about any of this? Especially with what I've got going on. I just assumed it would be public record and TMZ would be all over it, considering that Harvey guy is a lawyer and combs every celebrity arrest record and divorce filing for details."

"Some investigations begin as back room conversations." Clinton spreads his hands to emphasize our surroundings. "If there is an immanent threat, or sufficient evidence, then we begin proceedings to obtain a warrant. But otherwise, we don't need to file anything official if we are just looking into a situation." He winks again.

"Bree, you shouldn't feel bad. I kind of think Logan wanted to keep you scared. He wanted you to worry about all of this so he could hold it over you, control your decisions."

I hate having to say that to her, especially when I see how my words affect her. She leans over and covers her face with her hands, shaking her head.

"God, I'm so stupid! That's all that ass ever did was control every part of my life! My music, my clothes, my boyfriends! Crap, even my fears!" Her voice is rising on each word.

So is my anger. Listening to her, hearing how pissed off she is, I just want to find that piece of shit and get my hands on him.

"Whoa." Clinton puts his palms up, looking directly at me. "I know that look and you absolutely cannot follow through with those thoughts." He's shaking his head now.

"But, dammit, Logan has done as much damage to her as this freaking stalker!"

"One, we don't know how serious the letter-writing fanatic is. Most often these types of fans just get off on writing the letter itself, and living out their fantasies in their heads. You only read about the few who act on them. Very infrequent if you think about the number of celebrities, and then multiply that by the number of fans they have. It's rare.