chapter 44

"Professor Lupin," Hermione deduced mid journey by looking closely at his suitcase,
"Keeping the conversation alive then?" Draco mock queried dryly, it was the midpoint of the journey and many topics had already been exhausted by the group. By topics the group really meant Luna and Hermione had ceased arguing and making them all laugh,
"So with a breakout, assassin and the rest have we exhausted ourselves for school? Or will something more destructive happen this year?" Draco inquired making a very similar comment to one he made earlier.
"Depends does castration count as destructive?" Cho asked sweetly staring at him in a way that made the blond haired boy shudder.
"To me yes," Draco answered not sure if it was the right answer or not
"Then keep making comments and yes there will be a more destructive force at work this year," Cho told him with a sly grin.
"Well I'm dead," Draco summarised seemingly calmly which was strange to all the boys, then again it was Draco so who knows what was going on in his mind.
"Do you feel cold" Hermione asked suddenly looking at the others, Harry nodded he did feel colder. He didn't feel the cold that much but he was slightly cooler, maybe something was going on? Maybe Fred and George had done something
"Ice people," Luna tutted loudly,
"Don't!" Harry ordered Hermione, who had opened her mouth to speak, he had heard enough of their interaction for one day. Then in one long jerky movement the train came to a stop, it was very rough but that wasn't the strangest thing.
"The window!" Cho pointed confused, it was slowly icing up and while the air did not feel cold enough; for it was only slightly chilly it did not seem able to make ice. Then there was a slight yelping noise from afar.
"What's that?" Harry queried confused, he did not see why people would be afraid or worried it was only a bit of cold.
"Oh great we're in trouble before we even get to school," Draco sighed getting up and stretching,
"Well seeing as so many of our adventures start with us opening a door we think has a monster behind it, I'm going to cut a year's worth of investigation out and open the door, at least this time it's convenient," he announced walking over to the door. Then he opened it and looked down the hall, suddenly he felt colder and wanted to be back in the compartment.
"Nothing," he announced turning his head ; to be confronted with a hooded creature that was speeding towards him, he jumped back with a high pitched scream.
"What is it?" Hermione asked alarmed but as Harry got up he smiled, he should have figured it out. The cold came from a very specific creature and the group couldn't feel much of it because he was there. Same with the aura which had not manifested itself in them
"Draco you wimp," He scolded opening the door wider to allow the Dementor to come through
"Hey Dora," Harry greeted his Dementor god mother who he had spent a lot of time with, she was Lucy's best friend and whenever she worked he used to talk to her.
"Harry! I was hoping I would meet you here," she greeted looking at him while Draco went red,
"In my defence I thought she was the maniac," he grumbled as the group stifled sniggers.
"What you doing here?" Harry asked suddenly wondering why a Dementor would arrive on a school train
"Oh we're on the Hogwarts security team, Lucy sends her regards and she should be home for Christmas, the lead she's followed has lead from London to Paris and then to Wales," Dora explained in a tone that clearly said she thought it was some kind of wild goose chase. Dementors had to follow orders though
"Is anyone wondering what they're saying?" Draco whispered to the group
"All of us but only one of us speaks Dementor," Hermione pointed out, Draco shrugged.
"We? Who else is here?" he asked
"Vera," Dora shuddered and Harry did to, she was the equivalent of a woman who never stops gossiping, she had dirt on everyone it seemed; who was hoping to breed, who was mistreating prisoners and the rest of it. She wasn't overly liked in the prison but she was useful.
"Well you enjoy that," Harry commented and Draco grinned at the sarcasm.
"Are they gossiping about other Dementors?" Hermione wondered
"Yes," Draco confirmed, suddenly a hand was on his back and he turned to see Professor Lupin with his wand out
"I will do, see you Harry, " Dora waved before turning away
"Ok bye," Harry waved her off and turned back to his friends and a teacher, only one person was actually shocked or worried about what they had seen.
"What in God's name was that?" the man questioned having never seen anything like this before, Harry had to hand it to him; it wasn't an everyday occurrence.
"That was his Godmother," Draco beat Harry to the punch in this case and grinned as the man paled
"You can talk to Dementors?" he questioned and the group groaned as a whole.
"It's a long story," Goyle supplied not wanting to hear the explanation again, they had heard it and it was not something they discussed often. Despite a lot of people commenting on it, however before he could begin any kind of explanation a scream was heard. A familiar red haired boy was running down the train,
"It's going to get me," he blubbered with tears s pricking in his eyes,
"Crap," Harry murmured realising Ron Weasley had annoyed the most hot tempered, vengeful Dementor he had ever met. Lupin acted on instinct. He had seen a lot of strange things already but as a teacher he was supposed to help his students.
"Expecto Patronum," he declared firmly and all Harry saw was a shining white light however Vera flew off immediately. The spell however focused on Harry, turning and flying into him, a few years ago he would have been fine as his outer self dominated his inner one but over the years his inner self had grown in strength with his powers. The light forced him back and his inner self writhed, it could not get away from the spell that would see it destroyed, Harry grunted in pain that made what he faced in the chamber seem minor.
"Harry," he heard Lupin call,
"Are you ok?" he heard Cho's voice slowed to a snail's pace and the pain began to ease, the spell was going as Lupin cut it off, then in a few seconds he was fine.
"What the hell was that," Draco demanded and thinking his friend had been assaulted he drew his wand on Lupin. Crabbe and Goye followed while Hermione and Cho tended to their friend.
"Stop," Harry breathed suddenly sucking in air greedily "It's not his fault," gingerly his friends lowered their wands.
"What happened?"Lupin demanded looking panicked,
"Don't use that spell," Harry barked, evidently this man was a powerful wizard, most patronuses would do nothing more than unnerve him but this one was more powerful. This man knew his stuff.
"Why did it affect you?" Lupin asked having no knowledge on Harry. He waited until Harry had regained his breath and was less shaky.
"Your spell looked for a Dementor and the closest thing it found was me," Harry slowly began to explain, that was painful but it also revealed a lot to him. His inner self was becoming more powerful, it had come to a point where only a spell of pure light could wound it. It being more powerful was concerning and Harry knew it was clever, now it had tasted a patronus it would learn from it.
"You're a Dementor?" Lupin questioned looking shocked, Harry sighed
"In a sense yes," he answered wanting to get this over with as soon as possible.
"In a sense? What do you mean?" Lupin wondered aloud as the rest of the group sat down, they knew the answer after all but they weren't the ones explaining it.
"I have some Dementor powers, I have for a long time, your patronus reacted with inner me badly," Harry simplified not wanting to go into what Aragog had told him or the likes.
"Inner you?" Lupin was confused he had never seen anything like this before, nor heard of it.
"The natural part of me who currently wants to eat you and every other person in the world, he doesn't get out much," Harry told the man quickly getting up, he was feeling fine now. However he was slightly irritated at having to explain himself to this man however he seemed nice enough and he had seen two unusual things tonight. However as he regained himself not a single person noticed the red headed boy who had seen and heard everything.
Later
They had arrived at Hogwarts by the time Lupin had stopped asking questions and while at first he seemed odd the patchy evidently poor man seemed interesting. He had a lot of stories about his days at Hogwarts and what he and someone else got up too; he never mentioned the names though of his old friends. That was slightly odd but everyone seemed to get on with him after a while. What Harry did find odd was the lack of judgement; his friends had liked him before finding out about him and he had saved their lives but this man had little knowledge of him as a person. So why did he warm to him? Harry wondered if this man had a secret too, but it was a fleeting thought, he was worried about his inner self who was growing in strength. Only a powerful patronus could catch it off guard and he worried that one day it would too powerful for him, however he could not worry too much about this; it was the one thing he could not help.
"Well it was nice meeting you but I think you need to change into your robes and I need to have a quick word with the driver," he announced calmly before sweeping out of the room. He had offered everyone chocolate beforehand but he found no one in this compartment had been affected by the Dementor, he knew the reason.
"Anyone know why we told him all that?" Draco asked aloud suddenly once the man had gone
"Because he saw me talking to Dora which could have been explained but the patronus would have harder to explain," Harry supplied the answer
"So you don't think he's part of the people trying to kill us?" Draco wondered, Harry shook his head he had wondered the same thing.
"No he would have dug a lot deeper into me, he would have asked the extent of power and weaknesses of it if that was the case, and no I'm not sure I think he was just interested. I doubt anyone would believe him anyway except maybe Fudge and the others, "Harry murmured.
"Why?" Crabbe asked aloud
"Because the idea of the famous Harry Potter being part Dementor is terrifying to them, most people like to think that there is us and them, them being dark creatures. The idea of them mixing would probably end badly," Cho answered knowing the wizarding world all too well.
"People are morons," Luna simplified cheerfully.
"So that spell he used? Can we learn it?" Draco wondered suddenly
"Are you trying to kill me?" Harry asked darkly
"Maybe," Draco commented and even Harry had to laugh at that.
"You could learn it but it takes a lot of energy to incapacitate inner me, a patronus is made of good emotions; Love being the strongest. That's what knocks him out, you have to be really powerful or be in love to produce something like that," Harry explained in a tone that told Draco he may just die for asking that question. Harry saw a smirk on Draco's face grow
"Hang in our first year wasn't it our very own Miss Chang who really kicked you out of that?" he asked lowly; luckily in the light of the compartment and the night it was hard to make out both Harry and Cho's cheeks burning red.