Chapter 5 - Adjusting

New chapter! Just so you know, the name of the evil guy has been changed to Luther... and i think that's about all i changed... Enjoy!

Chapter 5

(Charlie)

“Hey, um, excuse me? Can I come in?” I knock hesitantly on the bathroom door, a whole mish-mash of bras, underwear and clothes overflowing from my arms in all the colours of the rainbow.

Silence answers me and I mentally smack my forehead for saying something like that to a mermaid who can’t speak. Before I can say something equally as stupid, a sound of consent filters through the door and I take that as my cue to come in.

She’s standing right where I left her. A tall, willowy girl with rich auburn hair and forest green eyes that blink at me with an unending curiosity. She’s an amazing beauty. She’s also amazingly naked.

I cover my eyes immediately with my hand, letting my things drop to the ground, “Oh God, I’m so sorry. You should have said something, you didn’t have to let me in!”

Her slender fingers rest on my hand and I a catch a glimpse of her stunning eyes, dancing with humour. “Ch-ch-char-lee.”

My eyes widen, as I let my fingers separate slowly, “No fudging way. Did you just speak?”

“Ch-char-lee” the mermaid says again, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

I blink at her, my mouth gaping open, “Whoa! This is so cool! Can you say–” I stop abruptly remembering that she’s not exactly ‘clothed’. I turn around swiftly grabbing a towel off the hook on the door and hold it behind me, “Here, put this around you first.”

She takes it from my hands and I wait a few moments before turning back around again.

She looks back at me curiously, holding the towel up in front of her as if trying to figure out what it is. With a sigh I take it from her before cautiously wrapping it around her, looking at the gleaming tiled wall beside me. I take her unbandaged hand and place it at the top of the towel, “Hold it down, ok?”

She nods her head, “W-wai-ee”

I pick up the clothing I’ve dropped on the ground and place them on the rim of the bathtub, “Why? Well, we don’t want it falling down, do we?” she tilts her head at me and it dawns on me that she probably doesn’t feel any embarrassment.

“Well, I guess um, ‘humans’ feel uncomfortable.” I try to explain, the fact that she probably grew up with a whole different set of morals and beliefs tickles the back of my mind. For all I know it could have been acceptable to prance around in your birthday suit from wherever she came from. Come to think of it, she didn’t really wear seashells or anything like the Little Mermaid. She didn’t really have bare lady parts in her mermaid form though, more like a goldish second skin and her tail too.

“We don’t generally walk around naked.” I finally say, pausing to let it sink in, “Does that make sense?”

She hesitates before nodding and giving a shrug. I hold up a bra, “Now, by any chance do you know how to put one of these on?”

*

(Alysia)

I tug at the strange clothes Charlie has given me as I follow her carefully down the stairs. Different layers gripping different parts of my body in weird ways. The under layer is especially strange and I tug at it for the 42nd time.

The inside of her house is just as intriguing as the outside of it and I can’t help but wonder how it was created.

“Mum! Mum!” She calls out as we make our way through various space, “She can talk! Lys can talk!”