Dancing with Deception (6)

Comment and Vote?

Cheers,

xo.

***************************************************

Chapter 6 – Unlikely Brother’s

Up close, he was just as I remembered, the same honey blonde hair and smiling blue eyes half turned down from shyness, a faint smile etched above a strong chin.

He looked every inch the regal Prince, inheriting the most striking features from each parent with an inherent softness that spoke of kindness.

I almost pinched myself to be sure this wasn't a dream, some trick of the light or illusion. Finally, I had found my Prince, and best of all he had come to seek me out. The only mar on this occasion was that it was not the first, as I was sure he still remembered the unfortunate events of this morning.

Realizing he would not be the first to speak I smiled serenely in his direction.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit Nicholas?" I said, loving the daring sweetness that came along with knowing him personally enough to drop the title.

He looked puzzled for a moment before answering. "My brother said you were looking for me?" His voice rose up a notch at the end of the sentence, posing it as a question, and then the words registered in my mind.

It took a moment to puzzle out the meaning, and when I did I nearly winced, remembering how I had been looking for Nicholas at the stables when I had accidentally stumbled upon Prince Alexander instead.

Had that only been yesterday?

That wretch of a Prince was determined to cause me no end of problems. Then again, anything that brought my future husband to my door could only work to my advantage.

"He must have been mistaken," I said, laughing uneasily.

Prince Nicholas looked down, blushing slightly. "I can't say I'm surprised, this won’t be the first time he’s pulled such tricks," he said bashfully.

"You failed to mention you had a brother on your last visit," I said dryly, leaning against the doorframe.

He grinned widely. "If you had a brother such as mine would you mention him?"

I thought on it for a moment, realizing right away that while I couldn't appear to dislike the other brother, I couldn't show the slightest amount of interest in him either.

"Not on my life," I teased with a grin, provoking a laugh in response.

"Well, since I've come all this way to inconvenience you, might I escort you to the dining hall?"

Before I had a chance to answer there was a squeak behind us and we turned to see Eleanor standing frozen, her mouth gaping open in surprise.