Pain Chapter 10

Pain is a pesky part of being human, I've learned it feels like a stab wound to the heart, something I wish we could all do without, in our lives here. Pain is a sudden hurt that can't be escaped. But then I have also learned that because of pain, I can feel the beauty, tenderness, and freedom of healing. Pain feels like a fast stab wound to the heart. But then healing feels like the wind against your face when you are spreading your wings and flying through the air! We may not have wings growing out of our backs, but healing is the closest thing that will give us that wind against our faces.

C. JoyBell C.

"You are at Lawrence Memorial Hospital. My name is Derek Morgan, I work for the FBI?"

"Shit."

Belle's eyes scanned over the agent, soaking up all details she could before turning her attention to the room she was in. The scent of chemicals and sanitization left a sting on her tongue, the blinding white filled her vision causing her lids to squeeze against the unwanted brightness. An old television played on low, some type of daytime show was running, a hue of yellow tainting the screen. One door was to the side behind the unwanted visitor sitting vigil at her bedside. A warm gold spilled in through the singular window on her right, the faded curtains causing little coverage as the infernal streams burst through. It was dramatic, the soft lambency battling the artificial effulgence.

Machine wires and tubes were hooked to her flesh, tangling her like a puppet, pulling the strings of her life, one pluck and she would no longer dance. It was then she'd noticed her own body, pain flashed through her limbs and dryness seeped into her throat making her more aware of her condition.

A masculine coo brought her from her observations, there he sat, an aura of protection surrounding him. Dark skin glowed with happiness, yet his eyes were heavy with sleep. Even from a glance, she could see the stiffness in his own bones. The wrinkle in his shirt and the way his neck creaked it was quite obvious he'd slept beside her in a beaten chair.

"Belle, how do you feel? Do you need anything?"

Pale eyes flickered to his kind face, humiliation flushed through her like a wildfire, that aside she was quite parched.

"Water?" Her usual silvery tone had an unpleasant croak, yet her request was given as a glass was rushed to her chapped lips. A long sip of the liquid brought relief, as the coolness seeped through her, the taste of a seemingly brackish undertone masked her taste buds but she ignored it, finishing the heavenly substance.

"Why am I here?" She asked.

Derek had watched her movements when her voice brought him back, where she watched him, waiting for an answer.

"Urm, you were kidnapped-" as he was about to go further she snapped up a hand halting him.

"I know that" her hand dropped back to her lap, "I mean why am I in the hospital? You called me Winchester."

Morgan's eyebrows furrowed. "Yeah, that's your name right?"

Her apple eyes rolled in exasperation. "So you know who my dad is, shouldn't I be in, y'know, jail or something?"

Now the agent was even more confused, "Why would you be in jail?"

Belle opened her mouth, then snapped it shut again, "Why indeed." She stated cryptically.

"Miss Winchester, I have a few questions to ask you, if you feel more comfortable I could get a female agent in here..." Derek trailed off as she quirked an eyebrow.

"Why would that make me more comfortable?"

"I just," The agent was at a loss for words as looked at her. "I don't know?" He offered.

"Then," she whisked her hand at him, "Ask away. Can't promise you'll like the answers though."

Morgan nodded, pulling out a small tape recorder. "I have to record this, do you consent to that?"

"Guess so."

He pressed a side button before beginning with the questions.

"When were you kidnapped?"

"Hmm, maybe a Tuesday? Always hated Tuesdays man."

"Urm, do you have a date?"

"Nope ima single woman." The girl winked at him, a mischevious smirk on her face.

Derek smiled slightly but pushed it down as he lifted his eyebrows in a 'come on' gesture. A sigh answered him as she glanced up in a thoughtful manner.

"Maybe May? I know it was hot..." Belle trailed off pursing her lips.

"Hey, what is today anyway."

"August 8th," Morgan informed her.

"Huh," a smile painted her face," three months, not too bad."

The man's eyes widened, worriedly gazing at her scarred form. "What do you mean?"

A shrug greeted him as she let out a poisiounsus phrase, "I've had worse."

"What do you mean worse?" Derek's eyes were soft, leaning forward slightly as he waited.

"Forget it, I don't wanna talk about it."

Choosing not to strain the newly bonded relationship he moved forward. "Did you know the man who kidnapped you before hand?"

She shook her head. "Nope."

"Do you know why he kidnapped you?"

Belle stiffened, her skin turning pale and lip quivering slightly. "I'm done talking."

"Please Belle you're safe now."

"I said I'm done talking!" She snapped flaring her arms up as the beeping of the machines flared up. The gown that had covered her chest rid down, showing a large, wide scar on her chest.

"What is that?" Morgan leaned to get a better look at it only for her to grab the hem and yank it up.

"Nothing."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Did you get branded?"

"No."

"It looks... it looks like a wing?"

Belle begun to get angry, lashing out at him face reddened with anger.

"No. I did not get branded it isn't your business now leave."

"Ms Winchester calm down, I'm just trying to help."

"I said leave!" She screamed, the monitor went crazy calling for the nurses, a few seconds later Morgan was pushed from the room and the door was closed.

He stood in the hallway, people rushing around him alarms flashing and people talking.

"What the hell?" He whispered before turning and leaving the hospital.

My comfort zone is like a little bubble around me, and I've pushed it in different directions and made it bigger and bigger until these objectives that seemed totally crazy eventually fall within the realm of the possible.
Alex Honnold