Prolouge

⚠️TRIGGER WARNING⚠️
This books contains contents including rape, sexual abuse, and child deaths!
You've been warned!

————

   How long had they been in the dark? A month? Two?  They lost track of time a while ago.

Two young Octolings traveled the Deepsea Metro for a long time, facing challenge after challenge and test after test. Hachi was the youngest, only 14 years old at the time. Although the tests were difficult, he did his best to complete them so they could escape. Átta, his older sister by a year, did the harder tasks, making sure her little brother never got injured in the process. They both kept smiles throughout the experience, but even with constant encouragement from a weird old guy called Cap'n Cuttlefish and two really sweet popstars, Pearl and Marina (who they hadn't actually seen in real life), it didn't stop the constant fear they felt.

Then there were those two Inklings that were a little... intimidating, but actually really kind; Tres and Neli they went by. Most of the time they were busy doing things elsewhere, when asked what Tres said it was classified information, and when they were around they couldn't stay for very long.

Tres was a bit of a strong silent type, but proved himself to be really sweet; whenever possible he'd teach Hachi how to use certain weapons and tell him about the wonders of Inkopolis. It was no denying the two enjoyed each other's company.

Neli was a bit more laidback and on the wild side. She was always delivering small meals and other essentials to the Octolings and helping Átta with things she wasn't really comfortable with mentioning around the guys; Neli was almost a mother figure, even if she wasn't much older than them.

Some days, Hachi sat quietly by his sister and read the fashion magazines from Inkopolis he'd find lying around the train, hoping it'd be him in those fresh outfits someday. Átta would read over the tests they had yet to complete, chewing on one of the tentacles that hung by her face out of stress. Hachi would catch onto the action and pull her tentacle away from her mouth; the limb bruised by teeth marks and threatening to bleed.

"Don't do that, sis..." He'd tell her softly. "You'll hurt yourself..."

Átta would nod slightly.

"You're right. I'll try not to do it again."

She hated lying to him, ever since they were little. Once she accidentally ate a tentacle off without even realizing, that was when she changed her hair to be shorter so Hachi wouldn't notice. Átta always found herself chewing on her tentacles again no matter what promise she made.

It was the tests that scared them the most about this place. From guiding 8-Balls, to avoiding enemy ink, to battling other Octolings that were "sanitized", everything was almost traumatizing. After most tests, Hachi would sit with their good friend, Iso Padre, and just start crying; all the stress that had built up in him came out at once. The isopod in return would comfort the boy until he either calmed down or fell asleep. It was those times Átta couldn't be around anyone, not even Hachi.

Átta sat by herself in an empty car and started crying herself. She hated this life. She hated losing memories, she hated the dark, she hated the tests, she hated C.Q. Cumber; all Átta wished for was a normal life for her and Hachi.

Then one day, that wish was answered...

Tres and Neli came back from a mission one day, with news: they had found a way out the metro. Hachi and Átta were more than ready to leave.

They were lead up and through the metro, heavily guarded by sanitized octarians. Tres took care of taking out most of the octarians ahead while Neli protected Hachi and Átta, since they didn't have their own weapons. Before they knew it they were on an elevator ascending to the surface. Hachi found himself gripping Tres's hand as he stared up above. The older boy rubbed his thumb on Hachi's hand and spoke softly in his ear.

"Don't be scared. You'll be fine, I promise." He ended with a calm smile.

All Hachi could do was blush and smile back. Tres concealed some blush himself.

Then they reached the top. Tres and Neli pushed open the hatch. And in flooded light.

Hachi and Átta were met with a beautiful sunrise horizon over the ocean and the city of Inkopolis, still lit up with neon lights and electricity. They were hit with a warm summer breeze and the scent of ocean air that had such a soothing feeling that almost made them melt.

Hachi couldn't speak; he was dazed by the new sight. Átta came up beside him with the same look in her eyes, and tears ready to fall. She met eyes with her little brother, realizing now how sparkly his violet irises were. Both of them began to cry as they embraced each other, still unable to believe this was real.

"We're free..." Átta whispered. "We're free...!"

Hachi held onto his sister tightly as he cried, the word repeating in his head.

'Free, free, free...'