Chapter Twenty-Eight

Three patients hit terminal stage at the hospital today. All of them were sent to be submerged in acid.

Maury was still salty about loaning the oh so important acid for his ex; naturally, he'd be in a lot of trouble if he was caught. But he remembered what it was like to see a Cephamalgam on rampage, and just didn't want to see it happen again. Maury sighed as he neared Átta's room to deliver her lunch.

   "I swear, things that urchin makes me do—OH!! HOLY SHIT!!"

   Maury cried out and dropped the food tray. His scream was loud enough to catch the attention of a few other doctors and nurses that immediately came to see what was wrong. Dr. Solomon was the first to reach him.

   "Nurse Maury, what's going on?!"

   Maury had fallen backwards, trembling as he pointed toward Átta's room, tears threatened to fall down his face. Dr. Solomon clicked his tongue and pushed the door open all the way.

  "Good god..."

   Átta laid on the floor blank faced, black ink slowly consuming her, but what really struck Dr. Solomon with fear was the blood draining from her missing arm...

    "Fuck! What the hell did she do?!" Another nurse behind him cried out.

   "She's hitting the terminal stage early, must've started hearing the voices..."

   "What happened to her arm...?"

   "She's an Octoling, too much stress and they start eating their own limbs,"

   Dr. Solomon got on a knee beside Átta and tilted her head up. She still had a blank stare, and tears dribbled down her face along with her melting eye mask, but she was still breathing softly.

   "Can you hear me, Miss Átta?"

   "Haaa... haaa... haaa..." Ink and blood dripped from her mouth.

  "Work with me! Can you hear me?!"

  Átta was crying more.

  "I... want... to go home... I want my baby brother... I want Neli..." She was sobbing.

   The black ink bubbled and stuck to Dr. Solomon's glove. He pulled his hand back and stood, frowning at the sight.

   "She's too far gone, she'll be at terminal before her antibiotics arrive tomorrow morning..."

   Without warning, Átta screamed and launched herself at Dr. Solomon, causing ink and blood to splatter. The ink splashed on the glass face of his suit and he cried out, falling backwards as two other doctors hurried to restrain Átta.

  "Solomon, are you ok?!" One of them cried.

  He brushed the ink away from his vision in disgust, grateful that it wasn't possible for the ink to come in contact with his skin.

  "I'm fine! I'm fine! Someone go get clean up for this ink!"

   The doctors managed to force Átta back and the shut her room tight. It wasn't long before they could hear her banging and screaming at them in unintelligible shrieks; meanwhile a nurse took off in a run for the clean up crew.

   "You all have to do something, you can't just leave her like that!" A Jelly nurse comforting Maury spoke up. "She's injured, if she gets any worse she'll just keep eating herself! We've already had a patient escape, you can't let this get worse!"

   "Shut up, Myrtle! That other one was cured, he can't spread anything!" A female doctor snapped.

   "Don't tell me to shut up!"