Chapter Eighteen

Jack rushed to the far corner of the church, draping old wrapping paper that had been repurposed as tapestry across the walls of the sanctuary.

"How does this look?" Jack called behind her to Corrie, who stood in the center of the room supervising her and Hannah's work with her hands on her hips.

"Jack, lift yours higher," Corrie commanded. Jack stood on her tiptoes, her ankle aching at the weight. "There!" Corrie cried, and Jack took the hammer and nail Dr. Benjamin offered her to tack the wrapping paper to the wall.

"Oh, it's beautiful," Christina cried from her position at the entrance to the church. "Well done, Cor."

Indeed, the church looked beautiful. The last Ragtime dance had been so successful that the women had expanded their efforts for the second dance. The wrapping paper added to the church's decoration and Corrie had lit beeswax candles throughout the room instead of bright lanterns to provide a softer ambiance. Corrie had a talent for the aesthetic that Jack admired.

"We're ready!" Hannah cried, clapping her hands together, her eyes jumping to the quartet. "But where is Donovan, Jack? I heard he's coming!"

"He is," Jack said, her face blushing red. "But he had to finish some grading before he could come. He should be here soon."

"He was so kind to find me a job," Christina said. "It's only a few hours a week, but it's so nice to be doing something outside of the house. I'm indebted to him, Aunt Jack."

Jack blossomed under the praise of Donovan, straightening her back and her skirt at once. "I told you he was a good man, and now he's proving his worth."

Corrie touched her aunt on the shoulder. "You were right, Aunt Jack. I'm sorry we doubted you. Are you--courting?" Corrie asked, stumbling over her words.

Jack cocked her head to one side. "Well, not exactly, but I care for him and he for me."

Corrie looked as if she wished to offer judgment on the statement, but she refrained. They all knew that Jack was old enough to do whatever she wanted, and Jack knew that entering into such an entanglement with a man could lead to heartbreak, scandal, and a sullied reputation, but those no longer scared her. She'd survived her engagement to Roy, and she would survive whatever became of this. Donovan was a nomad, and despite his desire to settle down, she doubted she was what he wanted. She was a passing fancy, and she would have to content herself with that.

As if on cue, the doors to the church opened and Donovan entered. His eyes swept past Christina stationed in her chair at the door to Jack, still standing near the wall hanging, and he smiled at her. A passing fancy, Jack told herself. But he was not merely a passing fancy to her.

"Good evening," he said, his gaze falling back to Christina as he gave her a gracious bow. "Thank you for your lesson yesterday, Miss Walker."

"Oh, of course! It was a pleasure. You may call me Christina, if you please."

"Christina, then," he said, brushing past her to approach Jack. He took her hand and kissed it softly though his eyes on hers hinted at far more scandalous touches. "Miss Jack, ravishing as always."

At the mischief in his eyes, Jack touched her hair. "What? Did I mis-pin my hair again?"

"No, Jack, you look perfect," Donovan said with a laugh, taking her arm. "As I said, ravishing."

Jack rolled her eyes at the man as Corrie approached him with a curtsy. "Mr. Donovan, we're happy you could join us. We've heard of all you've done at the school over the past two weeks."

Donovan smiled and removed his hat to bow at Corrie. "Mrs. Benjamin, thank you for having me."

"Of course."