Chapter Forty Four

The reverend's words shocked Jack so much that she nearly fell over. The war is over. Everyone knew the Great War would have to end someday, but it had seemed eternal and never ending. But now, somehow, the end had come. The Allies and the Axis had reached an agreement, a surrender, and all the soldiers still fighting would finally come home.

"It's over," Jack repeated at a whisper, a smile blooming on her face. Julius had said that justice didn't always prevail, but hadn't it here? Donovan was free, and the war was over. The Allies had won. "The war is over," she said again, yelling it this time and letting out a whoop of triumph.

She spun around and Donovan was already there, catching her in his arms as they both laughed--truly laughed--for the first time since Titus had died. His laughter was warm in her ear as she flung her arms around his neck and he lifted her off the ground. When he set her back down, his eyes were crinkled in a smile, and everything was alright again. Better than alright--the war was over! Christina's fiance, David, would come home, and so would Donovan's nephew. The war to end all wars had ended, and Jack hoped and prayed and believed that this would be the last time the entire world would erupt in such devastating, bloodthirsty hatred.

Julius and Minnie hugged as well and Reverend Smalley let out another whoop as he climbed back in the car. "Everyone's gathering in the square for a celebration, so I have to go tell the others, but happy Armistice Day!"

"We have to go into town," Jack said, turning to Donovan breathlessly. "We have to celebrate!"

"Let's go," Donovan said, that wild spark of spontaneity in his eyes.

Jack couldn't resist reaching for him and pulling him by his shirt for a quick kiss. Her mind flitted back to the words she'd said only a few days ago after the failed execution. After the war. Now, the war was over. What was to stop them from running away together? Absolutely nothing. Jack's heart surged with more joy than it could contain, more joy than she'd thought was possible. The war was over.

Donovan ran towards the car and started it, the engine rumbling to life. "Come on!" he cried, and Jack followed him with no care for her pants and shirt combination. Nothing mattered in light of the news. The war is over.

Minnie and Julius followed them, and they all crammed into the single seat, Jack pressed between Donovan and Minnie. Even though it was a chill November day, Jack felt as if the whole world was smiling. The war had ended. Donovan pressed the gas pedal to the floor and the car took off down the dirt road, leaving a trail of dust behind them. He sped towards the town, and Jack's hair, still loose from sleep, blew in the wind, scattering over his face and behind her shoulders. A sudden blast sounded over the car's engine and Jack saw firecrackers of red, blue, and white appear in the morning sky.

As they arrived in Irvington and Jack saw the crowd gathered in the town square, she was reminded of the near-execution. How things had changed in only a few days; now they were here to celebrate together. The crowd was mixed with men and women, young and old, black and white. The town's stifling prejudice had been overcome by joy, and Jack could not repress the grin on her face. Donovan parked the car and dismounted, offering Jack his hand. She took it and leapt from the automobile, giddy and grinning like a child.

Oliver was standing before the town, waving the telegraph he'd received like a flag. "The war is over! Hooray for Armistice Day!"

As much as Jack detested Oliver, she even gave him a smile. A waving hand took Jack's attention, and she heard Christina calling, "Aunt Jack! Over here!"
Tugging Donovan behind her, Jack found her niece and wrapped her arms around her as Christina wept openly. "It's over, Jack! It's finally over." Jack held the sobbing girl in her arms, ignoring the tears that bled through her shirt. "He's coming home," Christina whispered through her tears and a lump formed in Jack's throat.