Chapter 3: Sentiments

"Hey, sweetheart." her mother said as she stepped inside her new apartment. It was nothing special, for now, because the boxes were still scattered on the floor waiting to be unpacked. "This is such a huge place."

 Ariel put her hands on her jeans pocket, following her mother wordlessly as the latter scanned the room. She was glad that she was finally moving in to a bigger city after two years. Ariel stayed with her bestfriend, Taylor Woods, two years ago and worked part time in a coffeeshop while she study. She wanted to shift to another course but Nursing was the only thing that can connect her to him.

 Ruess...

 She wondered how life had been for him after she ran away without anything. He loved her and there she goes, away from him, trying to ran away from every possible pain. If he only knew.. she loved him, too. Maybe it was too soon, too painful or maybe she was a coward for not letting him know. She never saw him again and it was better that way. He might have been working on a private hospital, having the time of his life with his girlfriend and was thinkng of marrying her while she still lives in the bitter past.

 "This place is lovely, I wish you can start unpacking and make it a home." her mother said, smiling. Her wrinkles was beginning to show on her forehead in the form of tiny creases. Ariel smiled. Her mother would definitely freak out if she tells her about it. She was a little conscious about aging.

 "I will, mom." she answered. "Do you want something?"

 Her mother waved a hand.

 "I can't stay long." she said, giving her daughter a sweet smile. "I have to meet your step dad at the grocery. You know he just puts everything in the cart and pays for them even if he doesn't need them." she winked.

 Ariel forced a laugh, gave her mother a hug and saw her out.

 She leaned her back on the door, heaving a sigh. Should she unpack? Probably. Maybe she should get to the train station and buy herself a ticket. Yes, she probably should. Taylor would kill her if she missed her party.

 A week ago.

  "You're being an old lady, cramped into your own little world." she told her. "You go to my event next week at the Yorkton Beach Resort and see how good I am at doing my thing." she boasted.

 Taylor was an event organizer. She organizes almost everything- debuts, wedding receptions, bridal showers, bachelor's party and all parties which she was good at- She still loves to flirt with every guy around and hates being forced into a commitment.

 "But Yorkton is-" she started but Taylor wouldn't hear any of it. She held a hand.

 "Yes, its in Salisbury where Kyle lives. Where Ruess lives. You don't think I know that?"

 She hung her head low. Taylor neared her and held her hands.

 "Ariel." she started. She looked at her, into her eyes. Taylor was always concerned about her. Ever since they were kids, she would always take care of her. Act like her big sister. "I know that its been dark days for you the moment you left Salisbury. Kyle broke your heart and you broke somebody else's too."

 Taylor drew a deep breathe and continued.

 "Its been years. I'm not telling you to move on because I don't know how you feel but I don't like to see you wallowing yourself in misery. You could say you're okay, act like you're over everything but there's always that mask of pretense whenever you go out of your room."