Chapter Twenty-Six

How to Perk My Spirits:

Strangle Mena

Strangle Kevin

Shave my head and join a nunnery

See Gray

"I wish you'd tell me what your problem is."

I glared at Mena and took another swig of beer. Wince. Shouldn't you get used to the taste after a while?

She plopped down on the couch. "I was really worried when Magda called me. Do you want to talk about it? She said she didn't have the details to tell me."

Maybe if I made myself smaller, she'd forget about me and leave me alone. I needed to think, and I couldn't do that with my sister jabbering at me.

"When did you and Magda become friends anyway?" Mena frowned. "It's kinda weird. It doesn't seem like a doctor and a hooker, even a high-priced one, would have much in common."

Magda wouldn't talk at me nonstop like this. Maybe I should go downstairs and hang out with her. I grimaced through another sip of beer.

"If you don't like it, I don't know why you're drinking it."

"Did you come over here just to torture me or was there something else you wanted?"

She shrugged and grabbed the remote. "I came because both Magda and Mom called me today worried about you. The torturing is added pleasure."

"Mom called too? I just talked to her," I mumbled half-heartedly. And then my phone rang, making me startle.

My sister chuckled. "Bet you that's her again."

Stretching for my phone, I glanced at the screen and saw it was Kevin. Shocking. "I should have taken the bet."

"It's not Mom? Who is it?" She reached to grab the phone from my hands.

"Hey." I held it out of her reach. "It's for me."

"Aren't you going to answer it?"

I tapped my lips and thought about it.

"Well?"

"I'm still thinking."

She shook her head. Then, without warning, she lunged across my body and snatched the cell phone from my hand.

"What are you doing?" I shrieked, lurching after her. Which was a mistake because I rolled us off the couch. We hit the floor with a dull thud.

And it didn't stop her from answering the call. She was up and running with the phone flipped open before I caught my breath. "Hello, this is Daphne's more stylish sister Mena speaking."

Groaning, I dropped my head in my hand.

"Daphne is somewhat incapacitated at the moment. Can I take a message?" She frowned. "Who are you? No, I got your name, I just didn't understand that last part."

I imagined all the things Kevin could be telling her and groaned again.

"You're her fiancé?" Mena goggled at me in confusion.

"He isn't my fiancé. I dumped him." Not technically true since he'd broken up with me before I could tell him to get out of my life, but I would have dumped him first.

"I see. Yeah, I'll tell her. Bye." She closed the phone and continued to stare at me for entirely too long before she said, "Want to tell me what's going on?"

No, I didn't.

"Why didn't you tell anyone you have a fiancé? If it was serious enough to say yes when he popped the question, shouldn't you tell your family?"