seven.

CHAPTER SEVEN;
FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS.

eleanor was nervous.

she'd allowed max to talk her into going to this party at kimberly lawson's house, and she was anything but excited. she'd only been to a handful of parties in the time she was with troy, much to his dismay. she just found no interest in drinking cheap alcohol and flopping around in someone's living room like fish to overplayed songs.

yet here she is, getting ready to enter the chaotic atmosphere she despised so much. she wanted max to come help her decide what to wear, but she had to help her step-dad with inventory at his pharmaceutical shop this afternoon, so they'd planned to just meet up at the party.

this meant mike would be picking her up.

el already applied a fresh coat of mascara and dusted her cheeks with a soft blush. now, all she had to do was decide on an outfit.

she huffed, hating absolutely everything she tried on. so, after many, many failed attempts, she finally found a flowy black dress that reached her mid-thigh. she covered the thin straps of the dress with her favorite bulky jean jacket she'd received two christmases ago.

el slipped her sock-covered feet into a pair of short black boots with a block heel. she stared at her reflection in her vanity mirror with a frown. biting her lip, she reached for a bright cherry tinted lip gloss.

"will, mike's here!" the muffled words from downstairs filled her ears just as she finished applying the gloss, making her eyes widen. of course they would tell will, who else would mike be at his best friend's house for?

she muttered a quiet, "shit," beneath her breath before hurrying out of her bedroom, with no idea how she was going to explain this to her parents.

she made it down the stairs just in time for will to come out the kitchen, his eyes already locked on his sister.

her father was standing beside the window, holding the curtain back to look out, "huh, that's weird. he's just sitting in his car."

"actually, i don't think mike's here to see me," will informs with a sly tone. el's already wide eyes grow.

joyce walked up behind her husband to find that he was correct, the teenager was waiting in his car. "who else would he be here for?" she quipped with a laugh.

the girl shook her head at her brother, her eyes begging. he shrugged with a smirk, "i don't know. hey, el, do you know why mike would be here?"

her begging eyes narrowed into an icy glare before looking to her awaiting parents. she inhaled deeply, "he's here to pick me up."

the chief of police was quick to jerk his head in the direction of his daughter. "why?"

"well, i'm going to a party tonight. max was busy, so he offered to pick me up," she replied with a shrug, hoping her nonchalance made him lose the strict stare.

"and who exactly gave you permission to go to a party, young lady?" he questions.

she was so thankful she'd previously asked joyce about going to a party tonight and staying over at max's. she smiles, "daddy, calm down. joyce said it was fine for me to go and stay at max's house."

his eyes moved to his wife. she clarified, "i had no idea she was going with mike."

"i don't see the big deal. he's only giving me a ride because max can't. if you guys would let me get my license then perhaps i wouldn't need to be driven around," she reminds.

her father sighs. "el, we've been over his. you nearly killed us the last time you drove." he wasn't wrong. el is an awful driver. with her mother's accident in mind, hopper keeps her from getting behind the wheel at all costs.