Chapter Eleven

The ringing of my cell phone woke me up the following morning. In a fleeting movement I yanked the covers to the side and slipped my legs out of bed. Reaching out, I took the phone from my night table and peered at the bright screen with sleepy eyes. Everything was blurry, but I had a good idea who'd be calling at this time of night.

It took a second for my eyes to adjust, and when they did my hands tightened around the phone.

Lily calling

The screen showed.

I checked the time on the display before putting the phone to my ear. It was 5.45 a.m. Freaking 5.45.

"Where are you?!" I demanded on the line, the sounds of static reaching my ears.

"Van, I'm fine. I swear. I'm sorry I didn't call sooner..." someone interrupted her in the background. "Hold up a second." She told me.

I rubbed a hand over my face feeling more frustrated by the second. With no idea where she was and knowing for a fact that her phone had run out of charge I'd been pacing my apartment like a mad woman. I'd picked up my keys at least three times, ready to go search for her around the city but talked myself out of it at the last minute. Finally I'd fallen asleep at 2.10 p.m, exhaustion winning over everything else.

Lily's voice sounded far away as she replied to whoever had interrupted her.

"Sorry about that." She said, coming back.

"Lil," I sighed.

"I know, I know. I'm a horrible friend and I'm sorry. I didn't stop to think you'd be worried. I'm used to being alone. You know that. Please forgive me?" She all but begged.

The sigh that escaped me sounded defeated, "Fine. Where are you?"

"I'm in a taxi on my way over." I heard the smile in her voice. "Is that fine?" She asked, reflecting on her words. "Do you want me to stay somewhere else? I could rent a hotel room just for the night. I'm sorry I woke you up---"

"Shut up." I cut her off. "You won't be staying at a hotel while I'm still alive and breathing. You can sleep here. Don't be ridiculous."

"Ok. I love you." She replied.

I knew what she was doing, deflecting. That wouldn't work with me.

"You owe me an explanation." I told her.

I heard her sigh through the line. "I know."

"So?" I prodded.

I could almost picture her dreamy look as she said, "Oh Van, he was so sweet."

At least there was that. Just because of that word I would go easy on him next time we crossed paths. It wasn't like I thought BigX could be other than nice but I didn't knew him well enough to confirm that. With the bad and toxic relationships Lily and I had endured during the years I'd grown used to being weary when it came to it.

Rearranging my position against the headboard I waited for what I was sure was about to come.

"I was waiting for you at the bleachers when he came out of the shower all dreamy and wet. I swear Van he looked like a wet dream." She paused. "He asked me if I'd eaten something to wich I replied 'no'. And just like that I found myself being guided outdoors with a big warm hand on my lower back. No woman on her right mind would have refused." She paused long enough for me to make a comment on it, or deny her declaration. I didn't.

She continued, "I caught Kühl just in time and asked him if he could let you know I was leaving. Did he?"

"Yes." My mind went back to that moment our bodies collided and our gazes met. Heat pooled low in my belly. "He said you were with Colton. But I didn't know what you were doing Lil, I was worried."