Chapter Eighteen

"Schatz"

Something shook me awake.

"Schatz." The soft warm voice repeated.

I blinked away the darkness as my eyes slid lazily over the room, squinting at the bright bulb on the ceiling. If the point of view I had of the muted TV and the fluffy surface my cheek rested on said something, I was laying on the couch. I heard a shuffle of feet and felt someone move on my peripheral vision before a dark figure blocked the only source of light in the room.

"Hey sleepy head."

"Mnmh...go away." I replied, closing my eyes and turning to face the back of the couch.

I heard a low chuckle. "I will." Was that disappointment that tugged at my chest? I tried not to think much of it. "After you get on the bed." He finished.

I ignored him as I felt myself drift away. I was so fucking tired. The pushy ass had made me beat my limit when it came to physical exercise. I'd be fine not squeezing in another run for the next two weeks. I was that tired. The muscles on my legs, back and arms whined with every move.

A hand shook my shoulder and my heavy lids opened to a narrow slit.

"Came on Van."

Keeping my eyes open took too much effort. "Mnh...tired." I muttered flicking his hand away.

A curse escaped his lips just as I was drifting back to sleep. It had been so low I wouldn't have heard him if he hadn't been leaning over me.

My eyelids fluttered and I frowned. "You shouldn't cuss."

Jesus. I sounded like my mother.

"Shut up. You'll wake up with a crink if I let you sleep here."

My frown deepened. What had crawled up his ass?

"You did."

Shit. Had I said that aloud?

What was up with him anyway? I wasn't looking forward to sleep on the couch, but what was one more pain when every muscle in your body ached like a bitch?

"My whole body hurts." I informed him.

He didn't take the news very well if the sound he made at the back of his throat said anything.

"I shouldn't have pushed you so hard."

I snorted. "You didn't hold me at gunpoint."

"I knew better."

"I could do it."

"You can barely move."

"You suck."

"You suck more."

"I could have equaled the scores if you hadn't sneaked up on me like a goddamn ninja." I insisted. Though it came out more like: ...could...score...sneak...damnja.

"You would have never equaled the scores." I was impressed he managed to understand me.

The arrogant bastard.

"You suck." I repeated. I didn't have the energy it took to argue with him.

He let out a long worn out sigh. "You are grumpy when you are tired."

I ignored him. Mostly because he was right.

Another sigh escaped his lips. I could almost picture him staring at me with his hands at the hips and a frown on his lips. The picture almost made me smile.

He moved around and then something shoved in the space between my shoulders and the couch at the same time something else did the same at the back of my knees, rolling my body towards him. Then I was in his arms, cheek pressed against his pecs.