5

They take to Pepper immediately.

A grin flashes onto Gia's face the moment that the kind lady introduces herself and after stalling for a few moments, her brother follows suit. They don't talk much but listen animatedly to everything that she has to say, nodding their little copper heads and blinking those doe eyes.

Stark can't help but notice that Giovanni regularly looks to Gianna for reassurance, but as soon as she's given it, he's fine. It's as though he trusts her more than he trusts himself, something the mechanic doesn't find too hard to believe with what they've been through.

Despite this, the children seem significantly put together, especially since twenty-four hours ago the girl had been poisoned and was vomiting her guts up. Tony expected them to take at least a few weeks to open up to him, but they agreed to go home with him almost straight away. Maybe they need the stranger danger talk? Or maybe they just need someone to trust and it happens to be him and his girlfriend.

Whatever it is, he hopes it lasts.

It doesn't.

Happy meets the four outside the hospital. He'd had the perimeter closed off to press so that the children weren't immediately bombarded by reporters and waited diligently by the sleek black car. He'd never been particularly fond of kids, they get on his nerves a little bit and in general made him very uncomfortable, but he'd never thought it showed.

"This is my head of security, Happy" Tony had introduced him with a smile. No one had expected the children to make eye contact and then mutter something in Russian.

They seemed to close in on themselves completely, gripping each other's hands and not taking their eyes off of Stark's driver. An awkward silence had settled over the group until Pepper Potts decided to take the wheel "It's okay, they're a little shy.. you guys ready to go?".

Neither of the kids smile, but they nod in unison and follow Pepper's lead into the car.

A little shaken, Stark slides into the front seat as Happy puts the car in drive.

Although they don't let go of each other's hands, the twins do relax during the journey home. They talk only to Pepper and Tony, mostly just responding to questions but it's communication all the same.

Both adults are very wary that communication is going to be very important with the children and it might not always be easy and there's an air of uncertainty now. Maybe living with so many people is going to have an adverse affect on abused kids.

Neither of them have any belongings with them, what with the abruptness of the situation, but Jarvis ordered a bunch of kid's clothes and they're sitting in the lobby of the tower when the group arrive.

"Now, there's a lot of people living here, and I promise they're all lovely but it's okay if you take a while to talk to them" Pepper tells them softly, walking slightly ahead of the twins and Tony.

The duo have been silent since they entered the building, sharing silent conversations between honey eyes.

"They also don't really know you exist" Stark adds, earning a disapproving glare from his partner.

Gia quirks her upper lip at her brother and then looks up at the man who's supposed to be her father "That's okay".

Both Tony and Pepper were silently hoping that the avengers would be out and doing their own thing, but as soon as Ironman steps out of the elevator, he's hit in the face by a pillow.

Gia flinches as her brother pulls her behind the adults that they've put a tiny bit of trust in, shielding themselves from the view of the other people in the room. Luckily, their small statures mean that they're fully hidden.

"Stark!" the thrower of the pillow shouts from across the room "Where've you been?". As soon as the twins see him, they identify him as Hawkeye. He's leaning on the couch, right behind Black Widow.

To her left is Captain America, the literal god of thunder to her right. Bruce Banner, the hulk's alter-ego, has just walked into the room, cradling a mug in his hands and everyone is looking towards Stark, which means it's only a matter of time before they notice the kids.

To describe the scene as overwhelming would be a major understatement.

"None of your business Barton" the man grumbles, rolling his eyes at the cushion on the floor.

This only seems to encourage the archer "oo, seems like someone's got a nasty hangover" he grins, a smirk appearing on Black Widow's face.

Captain America is analysing Stark's face with an amused smile. He won't join in on the teasing, but is curious as to where his teammate has been for over twenty four hours. He has, however, noticed that the usually collected Pepper Potts looks a little unsettled. It's only little things, her hair isn't as neat as usual, the bags under her eyes are uncovered, but for someone so tidy and professional, it's enough to suggest that something's not right.

The mechanic doesn't respond, he simply sidesteps the pillow, conveniently revealing the scared children.

For a moment, everyone freezes.

The avengers all stare at the five year olds and they stare right back.

After a few uncomfortable seconds both kids stare down at their shoes in unison, the black converse suddenly becoming very interesting.

Tony and Pepper make eye contact over their heads, the realisation that this isn't going to be easy really starting to sink in. If the twins are uncomfortable with the avengers then living with them might not be the best way forward whilst they learn to trust.

"This is Gianna, and this is Giovanni" the ceo introduces them to the silent room, the awkward air becoming too much.

"They're staying with us for the foreseeable future, and you're going to make them feel welcome or I'll introduce you to my new suit" Stark adds, sending a pointed glare in Clint's direction.

Nobody seems to know what to say, what to ask. Where did these kids come from?

Bruce can't help but wonder if they're Pepper's. The only real similarity is their red hair but it would help explain some questions the group have.

Then Thor stands up, thrusting his right hand forwards and striding towards the children.

They shuffle closer together, on the verge of becoming one entity.

"He's scary, the hawk guy is okay, the one with the mug gets bigger and greener, i'm not sure about the other blonde one but the spider speaks russian... she's like us" Gianna talks so fast and quietly that even if they spoke russian the majority of the avengers don't think they would've understood.

Natasha does though, responding quickly in English "What do you mean 'like you'?".

"People were meant to kill you, they didn't succeed".