7

The next time Tony saw the twins was the next morning. They were sat up to the breakfast bar with Pepper, who was talking to the children about Thor. It was something about his gentle nature and love for kids, that he won't hurt them and they don't need to be afraid. 

Both of them are wearing a light pink t-shirt and jeans, little white converse on their feet. Geo has almost finished his strawberry poptart, but Gia's is left untouched on her plate. Pepper glances from the girl to the food a few times, but doesn't say anything. Stark assumes that she's tried already.

"Good morning" he announces himself, gaining the attention of the three in the room, "Did you sleep well?".

The twins nod in unison, tracking his movements as he walks into the kitchen, heading straight to the coffee machine. "I had a call this morning from your social worker" he explains, taking his favourite Ironman mug from the counter, "One of your neighbours has got your stuff and wondered if you wanted to go and get it today".

The smile that lights up their faces is instantaneous and they nod again, this time with much more conviction. Tony can't help but smile at their smiles, glad that they aren't shutting off around everyone. He wants to see more of the charisma they had last night when no one was around, they seemed like.. not normal kids, but happy, and that's what matters to the billionaire. He wants these kids to be happy.

So Tony, Pepper and the twins are climbing up the stairs in an apartment building in Queens. It's not too far from the tower, the same building that Stark's kids were living in, only half an hour away. He's probably driven past them at some point and not even noticed.

Without being told, Gia and Geo know exactly which neighbour it is, heading straight to the door that Tony has noted on a piece of paper, not even asking for confirmation. They must know this neighbour well.

He's not sure why, but the mechanic was expecting someone elderly, possibly a kind old woman who has three cats and an adoration for the two bright kids. So when the door opened and a young, very attractive woman stood in the doorway, he was a little taken aback. 

"Oh, baby." She instantly opened her arms and picked Gianna up off of the ground "You had me so worried, I thought-". She doesn't finish the sentence, as if suddenly realising she doesn't want to, instead cradling the child to her chest for a few moments. She has long dark hair, pulled back into a ponytail and dark, kind eyes. For a moment, although they look nothing alike, Tony thinks that she almost looks like she could be Gia's mother. 

When these few moments have passed, Tony realises that Giovanni must have gone straight into the apartment because he's not standing next to him anymore. 

The lady looks up, as if just acknowledging the two adults, "Hi, I'm May". She keeps an arm hooked around Gia and offers the opposite hand to Stark "I know who you two are". Both Tony and Pepper shake her hand, greeting her quietly. 

"Are you okay Honey?" May strokes a hand through Gia's curls, untangling a knot at the bottom absent-mindedly. 

"Yeah, we live with superheroes now" the girl looks up at her with a smile on her face.

She chuckles, "I heard, that's so cool!" she feigns excitement, placing Gianna back on the ground and taking her hand, "Let's go see the others shall we?".

Tony and Pepper follow the two into the apartment. It's nice, nothing fancy, but the entire feel of the place is warm and cosy. It's the kind of place that someone could really call home. 

"There she is! How're you doing Bambi?" A loud voice fills the building as the group turn a corner into the living room. 

It belongs to a tall man. He's very toned, blue eyes and soft brunette hair, exactly the kind of guy who would be with May. Beside him is Geo, but he steps away a little as the man bends his legs and holds his arms open wide.

Gianna lets out a squeal and drops May's hand, running at the man and practically throwing herself into his arms. He stands up and spins her around a few times before returning her to her feet.

"Pete!" he shouts "We've got visitors!".

A door opens somewhere in the apartment and footsteps sound down the hall. In a few seconds, a brunette boy appears in the room. He seems to be a little older than the twins, but with just as much innocence. He has big brunette curls, similar to Geo's. Big brown eyes dominate his features, a soft kind of purity practically swimming in them. As soon as he sees Gianna, he runs at her, throwing his little arms around her small body and letting out what can only be explained as a scream of excitement. 

"Hey, chill buddy, make sure she can breathe" the man chuckles, ruffling his curls affectionately. 

'Pete' doesn't respond to his dad, pulling out of the hug and staring at the girl in front of him "Are you okay? May said you got sick and then there was an ambulance and she cried and you didn't come home".

May? Is she not his mom or are they one of these hipster families that call their parents by their first names?

"I'm okay" Gia offers a small smile to her friend before turning to May "I'm sorry I made you cry".

The innocence actually physically hurts Tony a little bit, her eagerness to please is absolutely adorable, but also a little sad. 

"Oh Gi" May lets out a little sigh, placing a hand on the child's head and pulling her into a side hug "That's okay baby, as long as you're alright".

A sudden bark interrupts the moment, erupting from behind a closed door. 

Geo looks up at the man "Is that-?".

He isn't given a chance to finish his question because Gianna pulls herself away from May with an excited shout "Nemesis!". She throws the door open and out bounds one of the biggest dogs Stark has ever seen, he could probably pass as a bear.

The german shepherd bounds straight into Gianna, pushing his big head into her body and staying there whilst she wraps her arms around him, her face engulfed by fur. 

The man chuckles as Geo races over too, petting the monster of a dog. 

Once the beast has calmed down, the three children are sat on the floor with him, still petting his fur. The tall man has introduced himself as Ben Parker, May's husband.

"Gigi?" May calls across to the kids who look up immediately and Tony's reminded of the discussion they had about the nickname last night. "We were gonna go to the rink with Peter rabbit, do you wanna come?".

Both of their faces light up and they nod vigorously, jumping to their feet. 

"Go on then, go get changed. Peter has your stuff in his room".