Chapter Six: Nowhere

Annabelle's POV

I was nowhere at school. Ever since Hannah dropped out, her friends (pretending to be my friends) walked away. Nobody liked me anymore.

Everyday, I would go to visit Hannah, and everyday, she would ask me how school was. Her voice was always filled with longing. She had always loved school, but now she was stuck on line all day.

I don't know why I lied. Something about her pure blue eyes, the way they looked violet in the right light... the way her face was so eager... like a child. I had to tell her that school was great. I had to tell her that : "Jane is doing well," even though I had no idea how the hell Jane was.

I don't know why I wanted Hannah to be happy so much. I thought that it must be something about her beauty. I read an article once about the "Halo Effect." It was a study about how beautiful people always have better jobs, better lives... everything. Hannah was so beautiful... she looked like an angel.

I buzzed Hannah's apartment.

"Hello?" came her sweet voice, it rang like bells through the dingy speaker.

"Hey, Hannah, it's me," my voice sounded like a frog's next to her's.

"Come on up," she sang, her voice bright and bubbly. As soon as I stepped into her apartment, I knew that there had been a change.

"Did you redecorate?" I asked, looking around.

"Yeah," she said, her voice was as warm and soft as melted butter. She started pointing around the room at some new features, and then she led me into what used to be her sitting room. It was completely transformed. The walls were a soft blue, and there was a crib nestled in the corner. A little dresser was at the far end of the room beside a tiny little closet. There was a rocking chair, and a changing table, and a beautiful hand-made mobile hanging above the tiny bed with bars.

"Did you make that?" I asked, pointing at the mobile. She nodded sweetly.

"And, we're having a baby shower next week." She rubbed her protruding belly gently, she looked like she didn't even realise that she was doing it.

Her eyes shone indigo as she looked around the room, smiling to herself.

"Can I hear the joke?" I asked as she chuckled a bit to herself.

"You wouldn't understand. Baby stuff." She smiled again, then beckoned me to follow her as she left the room, turning off the lights behind her.

Jasper came in the front door, grinning. He leaned over and kissed Hannah on the lips. They made out for a little while, then I cleared my throat. I don't know why I was so annoyed that they were kissing in front of me, because, I mean, she's pregnant, isn't she? I was suddenly really mad at Jasper. This was all his fault. I gave him a cold look, but Hannah noticed.

"What's up?" She asked me, her brow furrowed.

I shrugged. She rolled her eyes, but dropped it. She kissed Jasper again, then spoke to me, "Are you staying for dinner?"

I shrugged again, smiling this time, "Sure," I replied.

I plopped down on their new couch and started flipping through the channels. I heard giggles coming from the kitchen.

"Jasper..." another giggle, "stop," she was laughing hard now.

"I'm trying to make dinner," she laughed.

"I'm trying to help you." I heard another squeal and a giggle. I stood up, anger running through me. I walked toward the bathroom, brushing past the kitchen. Jasper's arms were around Hannah's waist from behind, and they were making out as the dinner burned. So much for a delicious supper.

I stood in the washroom, staring into the mirror.

Why was I so angry?

***

Hannah's POV

I giggled again as Jasper tickled me. "I'm trying to make dinner," i protested weakly.

"I'm trying to help you," he said, jokingly. He tickled my sides again and I squealed giddily. I turned my head, and my lips found his. I heard angry footsteps from behind us, but I didn't care. Jasper was the only thing that mattered.

"Mmm..." I mumbled against his lips as I smelled smoke. One eye opened, and I looked over to see that the stir fry I had been making was charring slowly.

"Crap," I moaned and pulled away, grudgingly.I managed to salvage just enough of our meal to make it through.

"We are all going to love this dinner," I declared as I brought our half- burnt dinner into the dining room. Jasper heartily agreed, thanking me for such a wonderful dinner.

There was an awkward silence as Annabelle murmured some undecipherable words, touched her forehead, chest and shoulders, then muttered another word that I didn't catch. Annabelle was strictly catholic, and this had been a rivet in our friendship since the day I found out. She was constantly trying to convert me, though I was strictly Atheist.

Dinner was silent. Annabelled didn't speak a word, and her face was set in an angry way, her eyebrows creating large lines in her forehead. Jasper and I held hands under the dinner table, and I couldn't help but stare at him... he was quite stunning.

I giggled as he used sign language to talk to me in a discreet way. He kept slipping me sex innuendos as the silence continued. I kept giggling until Annabelle was staring at the both of us, eyes narrowed.

Annabelle left right after dinner, she gave me an awkward hug and told me she'd be back tomorrow.

"I wonder what's up with her...?" I said, shutting the door. Jasper's hands wound around my waist, and his lips were on mine.

"Later..." he mumbled... and carried me to the bed.