Day 23.1

Axel

I break the hug and peer out the tiny window. "Okay guys, there are a lot of them hoarding around the building. The gunshots must have attracted even more, especially with us being in a well-populated neighborhood. Well, populated now with fry-brains," I whisper very quietly so that the creatures outside don't hear me. I look around to see what we have in here for a shield.

"Guys, we need to devise a plan to get out of here. I have one idea, but it is risky," I say, looking into everyone's eyes. I nibble on my bottom lip in nervousness. "My plan is to create a makeshift shield. What I would do is go out with the shield as a distraction, and I would make noise to distract them furthermore," I am talking so fast that I can only imagine that it is difficult to understand me.

"I feel like we have this conversation way too much," Amber says, her voice worried. "You can't do this. We need each other now." She puts her hand on her lap. I grab her hand.

"Exactly. Why else would I risk this?" I say, smiling at her. I let go of her hand and look around the small space. I see a metal trash can in one of the corners with a lid on. I rush over there and take the lid off. I inspect the lid before concluding that this would work. I give my bag to Amber and face everyone for what might be the last time. I look and think of how much we have overcome in the past few weeks. Starting from day one. "I'll be back. Don't worry you guys." Amber looks into my eyes, her greyish-blue orbs trying to pry into my mind. Figuring out what I am doing. And why.

I turn to face the door and to cover the sudden sharp pain I feel. I pull my shirt up and look at the stitches. There is a bandage wrapped over it, but I see blood soaking through. I must've been too hard on it. I touch the patch and blood transfers onto my fingers. The last thing I do is give Meredith a kiss on the cheek and I kiss Amber's forehead. My lips linger over her forehead and I long for more of what I can't have. She is startled by the action and almost leaps back, barely meeting my eyes. I bro hug Jackie.

"While I go left and distract them, you three need to go the opposite direction and make it to the truck. This is the only way," I say.

"Okay, make sure you return, now," Amber says as she places her hand on my shoulder.

I open the shed door and slam it just after slipping out. "Come and get me you evil son of a bitch. I'm nice and fresh," I yell out. The dead eyes of them start to look towards me and move away from the shed and towards me. I bang my knife against the tin lid. Amber peaks out and I nod for her to go. I see Amber hurry out with both of our bags, followed by Jackie with Meredith on her back.

I am caught off guard by seeing then escape safely. I realize that I am surrounded on all sides. I grab my knife and stab one right in their dead eye. I continue to push forward but this just causes them to fall on the ground. One of them grabs my ankle, one of the ones that fell on the ground.

I make struggle noises as I try to get out of its strong grip. I use this to my advantage and step into its skull. I grab my gun as I do so and shoot one right behind me. My foot sinks into the skull finally and blood splatters onto my shoe. I grimace at the sight. I shoot two more that were on the ground in front of me to clear space so I can escape.

I turn around and face my shield towards the ones that were behind me. I fall back and land on the dead fry-brains. I can't get up as the start to hoard around me. I cover as much of myself as I can and I just stiffen up upon my death. My whole face tightens. They begin to pull at my clothes. Soon that will be my flesh. I just think of how I was able to save those girls.