Chapter Three

•••

•••

As the train pulled into the station, the screams of Capital citizens became louder and louder. Hundreds of people crowded around the trains, the only barricade between the tributes and them being the peacekeepers.

Autumn knew it was smart to win the Capital's favor, so she plastered her best smile on her face and went to the windows to wave at all of the citizens.

"Having fun?" Finnick asked her as he sat down next to her in front of the windows. He threw a few winks and smiles out the window too, making the women in the crowd go weak to their knees.

"Hardly," Autumn spoke through her smile and gritted teeth. "I hate sucking up to these people, but their money could mean the difference between life and death."

"Smart," Finnick spoke before standing up and going to talk to Tyson.

Autumn was grateful to have a mentor that actually talked and helped his tributes. So far, Finnick has been very kind to Autumn and Tyson. He hadn't given much advice, but they had only met each other a few hours ago and neither Autumn or Tyson were very eager to start asking questions about the Games.

Since District Four was much closer to the Capital than some of the other districts, it didn't take too longer for them to arrive. This only meant that they would have more time with their stylists to prepare for the parade tonight, signaling the beginning of the Games.

Autumn was not very excited to meet her stylist. She didn't want to look like the Capital. She felt like that was the beginning of her demise. Once she was identified as looking like the Capital, she would become a part of the Capital.

"Okay, time to go," Finnick told the two tributes as everyone gathered by the train doors. "Watch for wandering hands," Finnick whispered to Autumn. Autumn simply nodded.

Finnick knew how desirable Autumn would become the second she walks off the train. She is a beautiful young girl. She was no longer a citizen of District Four. She was a tribute. And if she won, she would be sold. This almost made Finnick hope she dies in the Games. Finnick knows what it's like to survive but sold into slavery. He believes death is better.

As they walked off the train, Finnick walked off first. He was followed by Autumn and Tyson who walked side by side with Amethyst trailing behind them. Autumn continued to glow with her fake smile as she walked through the crowd, following Finnick as closely as possible. She ignored the hands the grazed her shoulder and arm, noticing that Tyson was not given the same treatment. Autumn was surprised to see the peacekeepers notice Autumn being touched, but they did nothing about it. It wasn't a big deal, just an invasion of personal space, but they didn't even warn the Capital citizens not to touch tributes.

Autumn watched as Finnick strides through the crowd, breaking the way for his two new tributes. Autumn noticed the hands grazing his body, but he was better at dodging them and brushing them aside. Autumn couldn't afford to brush them aside for the risk of making a possible sponsor angry.

They walked to the end of the train station and entered a hotel of some sort where the tributes were housed for the next five days. The second the elevator doors closed, Autumn's smile dropped. So did Finnick's.

"You'll love your floor. It's beautiful," Amethyst smiled as the doors opened to reveal the lavish hotel floor.

"You have about two hours to go to your rooms, explore the floor, do whatever you want and then you'll be brought to your stylists," Finnick told the two tributes. Autumn nodded while Tyson didn't seem to hear as he was in awe of his new living quarters.

Autumn headed to the room that would be hers for the next week before the games started. She opened the door of the bedroom to see a big bed. It was, surprisingly, much bigger than back home. She had a closet filled with clothing  that looked very lavish and expensive, but it was more boring than the Capital clothing. Autumn was thankful for this.

Autumn decided to change clothes as she no longer wished to be in a dress. Dresses never really suited her personality. She only liked wearing them when in the mood, but it was frowned upon to wear pants to the reaping if you're a female.

Autumn looked through the closet and dresser, finally finding the simplest outfit she could which were black jeans and a long sleeve, satin shirt dyed light blue. It reminded her of waves close to the sand's surface.

Autumn still had time to pass, so she explored her room. She found a bathroom completed with a shower that had too many buttons. But there wasn't any bathtub to be found.

Autumn walked over to her bed and sat down, feeling the soft fabric under her finger tips. She picked up a small remote on her night stand, tapping it once. A hologram of the ocean in District Four came up on the small device. Autumn watched as the waves crashed against the beach and she instantly felt calm. But she became angry as she turned the device off. She knew the Capital had that device sitting in the tribute's bedrooms to project their home district only to make them know what they'll never see again. The Capital is mocking the tributes with these holograms.

Autumn walked into her bathroom, device in hand, and threw it against the wall. She felt satisfied as she watched it break into pieces, falling to the floor. Autumn scooped up the pieces in her hand, careful not to cut herself, and she set it on her bedside table where the whole device once sat. A smile was brought to her lips knowing that, even if it wasn't President Snow, an avox would find it and know why Autumn destroyed it. Even though her rebellious acts were small, they brought her peace.