24 - The Obligations of Nobility

With his Highness out of the way I can return to the event ahead. Despite it being an incredibly big event, the specific details weren't mentioned a lot in the novel. Though, that was to be expected for the novel's genre. Anything too gruesome would frighten away the audience.

I did, however, know the following:

The bandits hadn't been repelled until the castle soldiers arrived. I know this because the heroine was saved by one of the soldiers. She never mentioned a specific name, but at the time she had been distraught by the murder of her mother, so I couldn't blame her.

...Furthermore... by the time the soldiers came the city had been pretty ravaged. The reason why was simple... you see, Father isn't here, and neither is most of our forces. A few days ago our troops set off north to face off with the Zocrian troops, that approaching our border from another passage.

This wasn't the first time they'd done this, and other than putting pressure on father it didn't appear to have any purpose, however, Father couldn't leave them be in case they really intended to do something.

It was a delicate situation, and on top of that they had the guts to do this in a period where we would hold a festival. Surely you can imagine the dejection on the soldiers' faces.

As for the situation here... If it had been possible, I would have had the city evacuated or extra patrols in the city, but I simply didn't have the power. There was a limit to how much I could do as an 8 year-old girl. The plan is to get the heroine and her mother to the castle so that they'll be safe.

To be honest that is how far my influence stretches, and both father, mother and Eric had been suspicious about my movements recently. The heroine's mother was a maid, and the heroine was even lower status wise. She was not appropriate for a 'playmate'. Furthermore, I do not talk with the maids other than to remind them of things they forget or request things.

Magdalin may have attempted to persuade me to be kinder to them, but this is always the way I treated servants as Rei. With a cool distance, but just close enough to make sure nothing is out of order. Maids and servants often gather rumors faster than nobles, no matter what world you are in, so keeping an eye on them is important. They'll know things you need to fix before you do. Well, they are still property of the land though, though their loyalty is not unconditional, loyalty never is.

---*---

I glance at the white dress Ameline has put me in for the meeting with the heroine. It's... pretty... it is, but I keep being reminded of clothes I miss. Honestly I am tense, not because of the meeting with the heroine... but because I can't go personally get rid of the vermin crawling in the city. I end up clicking my tongue at the thought of them.

"Ojou-sama, a lady doesn't click her tongue."

Yes, welcome back Ameline. I know I've been ignoring you at the Salender mansion, but do you really need to keep doing this. Well, if nothing else, despite her constant nagging she never whined or did anything unnecessary other than nag.

"We do not need to spend so long. She is the girl of a servant. You are being too thorough, Ameline." I tried to wave her off since she kept messing with my hair.

"That cannot do! Jacqueline's daughter is incredibly cute, so you cannot lose to her!" She insisted, with determination filling her eyes. No, really, I was supposed to lose to her, you know? I brushed her off.

"I have no intentions of competing with her. If brother fawns over her then so be it."

Ameline's lips pressed into a pout at my words.